Annoyance while aiming a Dish 500

Billy J

Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
Maine
I have a Dish Pro Plus LNB on a Dish 500 reflector, connected to my Hopper Duo. I’m trying to get it aimed properly, using one of those inexpensive satellite-finder boxes with the toner and meter. The process seems to be working, but it would be a lot easier if it weren’t for one annoying thing. I climb the ladder, hear the tone, and see the meter. I start to move the dish, but then, at intervals of about a second, the toner emits a short but loud high-pitched BEEP, and the meter pegs at the top of the scale. Then the BEEP ends and the meter drops back and starts to settle at the proper value. But just as they settle back, the BEEP happens again. This makes it really hard to tweak the dish into the best position. Does anyone know what this annoyance is, and whether it is possible to prevent it?

Many thanks

Bill

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
A different - better sat finder?

Is the connection good and are you certain it is connected correctly? Are there any settings to change on the finder?

A different - better sat finder?

Is the connection good and are you certain it is connected correctly? Are there any settings to change on the finder?
Thanks for you response. A better sat finder is clearly the best answer - but at a price of well over $100 for a one-time use, that isn't going to happen. And it is hard to get the simple device connected wrong when there are only two F-connectors (one labeled TO LNB an one labeled TO RCVR). Anyway, I finally got the job done between BEEPS. It just took longer - an annoyance, as I said. My theory, incidentally, is that the BEEP is the burst of data when the receiver changes the switch in the LNB.

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)