Annoyed by my Hopper wanting to shut down to check for upgrades

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
This seems to happen to me every day no exceptions. It's 3:00am I woke up and started to watch some TV and two minutes later the dialog comes up saying Hey we want to shut down your receiver choose Yes or No. Dish really needs to allow the users to set the time for this check to happen with a default setting to work the way it works now.

Yeah that is my main issue. I'm usually recording the repeat of a new episode from one of the cable channels at 1 am so my unit doesn't do the updating until it thinks it has enough time to preform the update. The problem I ran into a couple of times where I had nothing recording at 1am but had something recording at 2am my Hopper would start running the System Integrity Check around 1:45 am and then take 35 minutes to complete and by the time my Hopper starts up I've missed 80% of the TV show my Hopper was going to record. That's the main reason i'm annoyed, ever since the update that doubled our HDD space from 500gb to 1tb it seems my Hopper takes more than "up to 10 minutes" (30+ minutes) to do the system integrity check. When i'm up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep I don't turn on my TV to watch a dialog box I turn it on to watch TV :)

Scott or anyone from Dish reading this, has there been any rationale for why this daily routine was hard coded at 1am vs being adjustable? Is this ever going to be user configurable for a mutually beneficial time for the user? I cant see how this is that hard to implement in code.

Takes a maximum time of 5 minutes ....thats ALL

That's what I told my wife ... When I found out I wasn't getting the upgrades because she was entering no while watching TV at 1:15 AM. I have informed her to go the kitchen, bathroom, or computer room for 5 mins and let me get my upgrades... All is good NOW !!!

Takes a maximum time of 5 minutes ....thats ALL

That's what I told my wife ... When I found out I wasn't getting the upgrades because she was entering no while watching TV at 1:15 AM. I have informed her to go the kitchen, bathroom, or computer room for 5 mins and let me get my upgrades... All is good NOW !!!

Unless you have an EHD.... Then it takes longer....

The 1am updates are a definite annoyance for me and I don't understand why they don't give the option for us to schedule updates for another time.

A few months back a DIRT team member told me they don't plan on implementing a user-configurable setting for this. I really hope they reconsider.

Scott or anyone from Dish reading this, has there been any rationale for why this daily routine was hard coded at 1am vs being adjustable? Is this ever going to be user configurable for a mutually beneficial time for the user? I cant see how this is that hard to implement in code.

The rationale is because it NEEDS to be done. It don't just look for updates to the system software and download the guide. It also is an opportunity for the box to do some housekeeping of the hard drive and make sure it's working properly. For example, I did a mass transfer of items from one EHD to the internal drive and then to another larger EHD. The next day I noticed that the available space was slightly different from the night before after I had finished transferring. When my Hopper did it's system update, it also cleaned up some fragmentation and opened up more space for it to use for recordings. On prior system software on other Dish boxes, they did allow you to set things like when nightly updates would run, but slowly they have been limiting or taking that ability away all together. Because getting the nightly download and running maintenance on the system is so important.

2 things. First, because you mentioned it, my guide updates are hardly ever coming along with that nightly maintenance. My system update happens every night now at about 1:40 or so. It stopped doing it right on the hour a couple of months ago. But my guide updates have been very sporadic. A couple of times in the last month, I actually got down to only having two days of information in the guide. No amount of manual resets, or even total system unplugs would force it to update. It finally did, but it is a real nuisance to have a limited number of days in the guide. It makes me want to request that they give us somewhere to force the unit to update its guide. Does anyone else have this problem?

Second, I don't see why our ability to change the system software *update* time would endanger our getting updates, as long as they didn't give us the option to skip them altogether. I'd much prefer mine to happen at about 4am. I am often up until 3am, and I also have had issues when it either interrupts programs I'm watching, or else takes so long to update that a recording was then skipped.

The rationale is because it NEEDS to be done. It don't just look for updates to the system software and download the guide. It also is an opportunity for the box to do some housekeeping of the hard drive and make sure it's working properly. For example, I did a mass transfer of items from one EHD to the internal drive and then to another larger EHD. The next day I noticed that the available space was slightly different from the night before after I had finished transferring. When my Hopper did it's system update, it also cleaned up some fragmentation and opened up more space for it to use for recordings. On prior system software on other Dish boxes, they did allow you to set things like when nightly updates would run, but slowly they have been limiting or taking that ability away all together. Because getting the nightly download and running maintenance on the system is so important.

Dustoman, my keyword is adjustable. Never did I say skippable. I realize that maintenance needs to be done nightly, but there is absolutely NO rationale for a mandatory 1am curfew, as long as the maintenance occurred.

Dustoman, my keyword is adjustable. Never did I say skippable. I realize that maintenance needs to be done nightly, but there is absolutely NO rationale for a mandatory 1am curfew, as long as the maintenance occurred.

I would guess that the fixed 0100 time is due to the PTAT recording update. Aren't the AutoHop updates for the prior day's recordings sent then?? If so, it would be nice to allow for an adjustable time if you have PTAT disabled....

I think the 0100 time for the PTAT is just the fact that the update is done at 0100. The same could be updated at any time IMHO. 0100 just seems arbitrary and should be user selectable as long as it occurs nightly.

This is the most annoying thing about the Hopper. I have an EHD on mine and the process takes 25 minutes or more. Right now it is doing one and it's already at 24 minutes. They are a very unresponsive company, as are most such entities (like the cell phone carriers, internet providers, etc.) It seems that once they have your money they don't care what you think about their service or equipment.

Pull the USB or the power cord to the EHD and the check and reboot will start within a minute or so. Depending of the EHD size and number of files/programs it can take quite a while if you don't. It would be best to turn off DVR and then pull but if it has started you should still be able to do it. Up a lot later than than 1AM.
-Ken

One of my Hoppers has 2 EHDs connected. The nightly update is very long. I also noticed that trying to use Dishanywhere is a 45 minute load due to my having 3 EHDs .

I'm still using a 722 with my update time set to 5am. I routinely watch TV up till about 2-3am especially on the weekends. I'm shocked they don't have the option to change the time like on the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)