Annoying 522 Audio problems

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I posted this in the general Dish forum earlier, but only got one sarcastic response. I'm hoping I have better luck here.

I've noticed some audio problems with my 522. I'm able to hear a high pitched "electric squeal" type noise when watching some programs. It is really noticeable when watching sporting events such as football where there is a lot of crowd noise. I'm watching on an LCD tv that is being fed from the TV2 coax output. Before I moved, I noticed the squealing when the audio came through my receiver via the TV1 optical output. Anyone notice this problem with their setup?

The sound is kind of hard to explain and you can't really hear it unless you know what you are listening for. It's not a constant tone or volume, but it fluctuates quite rapidly.

The most common cause of audio problems is a "ground loop" between the receiver and any devices connected to it. This difference in ground potential shows up as noise of one kind or another. As it showed up when using the optical connection, I'd be sure that all units, receiver, TV, amplifier, etc. are fed from a common source. We like to use an uninterruptable power supply designed for computer systems for line power conditioning. Another possibility is that the video signal is too high, and spiking into the audio. This happens on sports programs as the fluctuating light levels cause the signal to "bloom". Try different audio inputs to determine which, if any, are at fault. If the common link is the TV itself, since you report that it has happened in different configurations. The AGC in the TV may swamped. We feed audio and video thru a Yamaha amp/receiver and get excellent audio from all sources, including our 522. Chasing noise is usually a process of elimination.

I agree supereal. It sounds like a "noise" issue and not anything to do with your 522. And is definitely not the 522 audio drop issue. Make sure you have everything cleaned up cable wise and away from any kind of motors that could produce interference.

I was looking for the attenuator that came with my 522, but I can't seem to find it. Where can I find an attenuator that would work for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)