Annoying Nightly Reboot

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
Am I missing something or is my HWS really supposed to reboot at 1AM ((PST) every night - no warning, no asking, just POOF! and it's gone. Screws up my recordings and leaves me in the dark while I wait. I'm REALLY beginning to wonder about sticking with DISH! I could've sworn that at one time it asked first. Is there some setting that I'm missing?

No, it should be 1:30ish a.m. with warning. This is new with the 528 software. Mine now does it every so often without warning, then asks to do the regular reset again later and even if it doesn't do the "unwarned" dump and restart, the new regular reset is can now be at 1:30, 2, 2:45, 3:32, 4:52, etc., it's all been haphazard since 528.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the next rollout? Fingers crossed.

No, it should be 1:30ish a.m. with warning. This is new with the 528 software. Mine now does it every so often without warning, then asks to do the regular reset again later and even if it doesn't do the "unwarned" dump and restart, the new regular reset is can now be at 1:30, 2, 2:45, 3:32, 4:52, etc., it's all been haphazard since 528.

Hopefully it will get fixed in the next rollout? Fingers crossed.
With 528 mine has been at 1:15 until tonight

I was watching videos on Vevo a few nights ago and at 1:45 am it just dumped the app and rebooted... no warning, no option to continue viewing, nothing. Surprised the hell out of me!

Is this supposed to be some kind of improvement over the VIP receivers that allowed you to move the reboot/update time to suit your preferences?

Am I missing something or is my HWS really supposed to reboot at 1AM ((PST) every night - no warning, no asking, just POOF! and it's gone. Screws up my recordings and leaves me in the dark while I wait. I'm REALLY beginning to wonder about sticking with DISH! I could've sworn that at one time it asked first. Is there some setting that I'm missing?

Come to think of it, this started happening with 528 (which I got 10/4/15) - I didn't think the software reboot was supposed to screw up recordings in progress. This is more than just a little annoyance!

. . . I didn't think the software reboot was supposed to screw up recordings in progress. This is more than just a little annoyance!
Yeh, that's another thing. I have a ton of chopped recording because this abnormality can happen at any time. With this new dump and restart, it's not the Nightly "Restart", it's not updating anything. Normally that's later or behind the scenes. I wonder what the nightly reboot actually is? This new thing does not take as long, just a couple of minutes with no "Start Up" screens or the if you wait the 15-20 minute Guide update. So although the recordings are chopped up, it's a shorter amount of time. Not that I am saying it's OK. It's NOT!!! As it has been said by others and I said it when they announce the next update with all these background "security" and "new IU" fixes and was discounted, "I wonder what they'll break next?". Wulp, they broke somethin'. We were right.

Wife always leaves Bedroom Hopper on. I notice the green light is on at nite and it's off in the mourning.

It just hit me, maybe I don't have that timeout function disabled. I was thinking the update was shutting it off. Will look later.

I believe the nightly update does shutdown my Hoppers. Only noticed it cuz I was quite sick with headcold and didn't want to keep waking up dear wife, "She who must be obeyed", so spent a few nights in family room listening to music all night and both hoppers were off some where during the early morning hours.
Don't notice this normally as I have both set to turn on music channels at five am.

I would really like to see the nightly boot time to be user selectable in the next firmware upgrade. Really, really would..................."I've got a lot of periods if anyone wants some............:biggrin

Just create an auto tune timer to fire about 1 hour after the nightly update and your Hopper will be awake 23/7 ;^).

Yeh, that's another thing. I have a ton of chopped recording because this abnormality can happen at any time. With this new dump and restart, it's not the Nightly "Restart", it's not updating anything. Normally that's later or behind the scenes. I wonder what the nightly reboot actually is? This new thing does not take as long, just a couple of minutes with no "Start Up" screens or the if you wait the 15-20 minute Guide update. So although the recordings are chopped up, it's a shorter amount of time. Not that I am saying it's OK. It's NOT!!! As it has been said by others and I said it when they announce the next update with all these background "security" and "new IU" fixes and was discounted, "I wonder what they'll break next?". Wulp, they broke somethin'. We were right.

Sounds like you are experiencing something similar to what I've seen. For example, last night my Flopper (AKA Hopper) gave me the onscreen yes or no option to look for important updates. I decided to click on YES and it started the customary shutdown. I have a second TV in the same room that is connected to my Hooey (AKA Joey). But the program on the second TV continued on uninterrupted and I started thinking, "if the Flopper is now shut down for updating, the program on the Hooey should not still be on since the Hooey is sourced from the Flopper."

Thus, it was obvious that there was NO update going on at all with the Flopper. After waiting a while, I hit the SELECT key and turned the Flopper back on.

This happens many nights where the Flopper shuts off and does nothing more than a reboot -- no update is done at all.

There have been other nights when the Flopper actually DID do a regular update. But a half-hour later is asking me AGAIN to shut down to look for important updates. Even after complying with it -- and just seeing it reboot only -- it asked me a THIRD time shortly afterward to do it AGAIN.

I am very seriously thinking of dumping Dish when my 2-year sentence is up in Jan. 2017 because I've grown very weary of these nutty update interruptions at Dish's convenience instead of mine. I love to binge record things and then play them back overnight for dubbing permanent copies to VHS or DVD. But I can't do this on many nights because I'm also sick and tired of setting a half-dozen shows to auto-play -- only to find out that the nightly update shut it all down as my recording machine dutifully continues on recording 4-5 hours of dead air.

I do believe that satellite TV may be running its course. I say this because, in part, of the constantly interrupted signal when a cloud cover goes overhead, if it starts to drizzle outside, etc. I have never had a worse year with Dish than the past 12 months with the signal going out all the time. In previous years with Dish -- with their earlier DVR's (which were MUCH more user friendly) -- losing the signal only happened when a very violent thunderstorm was taking place. Now, all it takes is a little sprinkle and it's like the dish is saying, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

This, combined with the constant rebooting & updating, is making Dish impractical for me to use since I enjoy dubbing off my recordings to permanent media. And since doing this overnight is the best way for me, it just doesn't make sense to stick with Dish beyond the time where there would be no penalty for an early withdraw.

I think I'll look at the hard wired TV services such as Comcast or Uverse. Their DVRs do not come close to matching Dish's 2TB storage capacity (on the Flopper), but having all that storage is useless if the service is not performing up to its standards of previous years.

Last edited:
Regarding my post directly up above, it is happening again.

My Hopper has asked to shut down for updates TWICE so far. First time was just after 1:30 am, second time was around 2:30. BOTH TIMES it failed to do any kind of upgrade. It just immediately shut down and offered to start up again with that "press SELECT" screen.

I don't know if this means it is malfunctioning or if there simply are no updates tonight and it still shuts down to go through the motions, etc.

Anyone know anything about this or have the same problem?

The nightly update is around 1:30 am. It is a necessary update that looks for software updates and updates the guide data and also does a nightly reboot so it can clear out any possible glitches and bugs . Also a little light housekeeping in the receiver. It is recommended that you let it do this or you might suffer a random reboot during the day when it is recording something you really want to see. All DISH receivers do this. You can forestall it if you select no ,but it will keep coming up till you let it do it's thing.

Thanks. That is good to know. The only thing that still puzzles me is why it will seemingly do its update at 1:30 -- and then do it again once or twice more, in addition to the 1:30 one?

That is the problem. I tell it YES at 1:30 and it goes through its process. But then, within an hour, it asks yes or no to do it again -- as if it had not already done so. And then, many nights, it will ask AGAIN an hour after that.

Who in their right mind takes this as "business as usual". Tivo, Cable, and DirecTV all seem to manage without nightly reboots. That's got to be the sloppiest programmers EVER! The complaint shouldn't be what time, it should be why is it required in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)