Annoying SD-HBH problem !!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Maldez

Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have a very small, but VERY ANNOYING problem with my Hughes receiver. For some totally unknow reason it has decided to switch itself from a 3-digit channel input format to 4-digit. Now I have to hit Select every time I enter a new channel (501 Select, e.g. instead of just 501, because it's looking for that 4th digit).

I've tried resetting the receiver, reconfiguring the satellite installation, and been through every menu option about 600 times, all without any luck.

Can somebody out there PLEASE HELP ME ?? !!

Maldez said:
I have a very small, but VERY ANNOYING problem with my Hughes receiver. For some totally unknow reason it has decided to switch itself from a 3-digit channel input format to 4-digit. Now I have to hit Select every time I enter a new channel (501 Select, e.g. instead of just 501, because it's looking for that 4th digit).

I've tried resetting the receiver, reconfiguring the satellite installation, and been through every menu option about 600 times, all without any luck.

Can somebody out there PLEASE HELP ME ?? !!
Possible solution:
See if you can work it by putting a 0 (zero) before the channel, so try 0501 instead...
No need for the select button this way.

Jimbo

Nice try, Jimbo, but that's just keying in another digit that I shouldn't have to be keying in. It doesn't really fix anything.

The funny thing is this has happened before, lasts for weeks and weeks, and then just as mysteriously fixes itself.

Guess I'll just wait for it to cure itself again, but I would sure love to know why it happens.

Last edited:
Maldez said:
Nice try, Jimbo, but that's just keying in another digit that I shouldn't have to be keying in. It doesn't really fix anything.

The funny thing is this has happened before, lasts for weeks and weeks, and then just as mysteriously fixes itself.

Guess I'll just wait for it to cure itself again, but I would sure love to know why it happens.
I thought the issue was you didn't want to have to push the select button ,
Here is probably a stupid idea and should not change anything, but you never know, Try changing the batteries ....
Also has there been an update sent for your receiver lately ? If so, it may be required to push the extra button now.
Can you now access 4 digit channels ? 1000 for example ?

I know, grasping at straws now, but you wanted ideas !sadroll

Jimbo

Thanks for pitchin' in with ideas, Jimbo.

1) Already tried changing the batteries (at the suggestion of the Directv techie, who never heard of this particular dilemma before).

2) You're right, I don't want to push the Select button, but I don't want push a preceding "0" either, making it 4 buttons I have to punch, when it should only be 3 (couch potatoe has to preserve his strenth, ya know).

3) Haven't seen any receiver updates.

4) When keying in the channel, BTW, you can clearly see 4 positions on the Menu screen, like "_ _ _ _", when there used to be only 3 "_ _ _".

Not a big problem in the overall scheme of things, but it's just BUGGIN' me, ya know?

My receiver is accepting 4 digits now that there's a new channel - 1000. Your receiver has to allow 4 digits in case you want to tune directly to that channel. You could try removing channel 1000 from your guide, but that didn't help me on my Samsung.

I've noticed by Samsung HD receiver has just started to do the same thing. There must be some kind of S/W update or maybe that is how the original S/W was programmed once it starting seeing the 1000 channel format.

EEJay said:
My receiver is accepting 4 digits now that there's a new channel - 1000. Your receiver has to allow 4 digits in case you want to tune directly to that channel. You could try removing channel 1000 from your guide, but that didn't help me on my Samsung.

I think you're on to something, EEJay. I just checked and, sure enough, I now have Channel 1000 "Directv Extras" or some such thing. I removed it from my Favorite Channels but it had no impact on my receiver still looking for a 4-digit channel number.

So it must be the satellites are prompting the receivers to look for 4-digit channels now. But if that's the case, with the millions of Hughes receivers out there why am I the only Directv customer noticing this?

The Directv techie I talked to was clueless. Her final attempt at correcting the problem was to sell me a new remote for $17 + shipping. Now THAT"S customer service!

Maldez said:
I think you're on to something, EEJay. I just checked and, sure enough, I now have Channel 1000 "Directv Extras" or some such thing. I removed it from my Favorite Channels but it had no impact on my receiver still looking for a 4-digit channel number.

So it must be the satellites are prompting the receivers to look for 4-digit channels now. But if that's the case, with the millions of Hughes receivers out there why am I the only Directv customer noticing this?

The Directv techie I talked to was clueless. Her final attempt at correcting the problem was to sell me a new remote for $17 + shipping. Now THAT"S customer service!
I would have to think there was a update and you now HAVE to use 4 digits, just my guess...

Jimbo

I remember my old hughes gaebo would switch from 3 to 4 digit entry and back every so often back when they had the wink interactive stuff.
I haven't really payed much attention with my HTL since I only have the HD stuff now.

osu1991 said:
I remember my old hughes gaebo would switch from 3 to 4 digit entry and back every so often back when they had the wink interactive stuff.
I haven't really payed much attention with my HTL since I only have the HD stuff now.

That's just what's happening to me, switching back & forth from 3-digit to 4-digit entry, but why nobody else?

Mine switched back and forth a few times, too. Maybe while they were testing 1000? It looks like 1000 is here to stay, though.

EEJay said:
Mine switched back and forth a few times, too. Maybe while they were testing 1000? It looks like 1000 is here to stay, though.

Why the hell do we need 4-digit channel numbers, when there's hundreds of unused numbers between 1 and 999?

I reported this happening when it appeared they were playing with GMC:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=72273&page=5&highlight=996

It's now gone, but I have 1000 as well - but, you do not have to push SELECT or enter in 4 digits; the receiver will time-out after a couple seconds & switch channels even with fewer than 4 digits. ;)
(yes, I DO agree this is VERY annoying, when they don't need to be doing this :mad: )

Maldez said:
why am I the only Directv customer noticing this?

I am noticing this! It's happened several times in the past as well. Previously it either cleared up by itself, or cycling power on the receiver seemed to help. But now I can't seem to fix it (i.e. go from 4-digit tuning back to 3-digit). Like you, I also noticed that there is now a channel 1000 (DirecTV+), although I don't have it selected.

When I called DirectTV about this, they didn't seem to have a clue, and could only suggest unplugging, waiting 15 seconds, and re-plugging. But that had no effect.

I find the 4-digit tuning extremely annoying, as I change channels frequently, and often wish to go directly to a channel (rather than cycle through my presets).

Perhaps the channel 1000 will eventually go away? But I am not very hopeful. I sure wish there was a way to specify I want only 3-digit tuning.

- Tom

Maldez said:
Why the hell do we need 4-digit channel numbers, when there's hundreds of unused numbers between 1 and 999?
Dunno. I'm with you. I always had to push select after putting in my channel numbers on my Samsung anyway. Either that or wait five seconds for the receiver to do it itself.

You are not alone. About 1.5months ago all three of my old hughes receivers went to the four digit format. None have updated software or any changes to the programming. The channel 1000 thing seems to be driving it...you'd think that DTV tech support would have a service bulletin or something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)