Annoyingly loud 622. Help!

mlinuxg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
I upgraded to DishHD last night and got the 622 receiver. It works great and all but the thing is very loud. At least to me it's loud and has this constant buzz to it. To get any peace and quiet in my living room when I 'm not watching tV I have to unplug the thing.

The 622 is on a shelf in an open TV stand. Does anyone know of any enclosures that I could buy to put the 622 in to quiet this beast?

Last edited:
I upgraded to DishHD last night and got the 622 receiver. It works great and all but the thing is very loud. At least to me it's loud and has this constant buzz to it. To get any peace and quiet in my living room when I 'm not watching tV is to unplug the thing.

The 622 is on a shelf in an open TV stand. Does anyone know of any enclosures that I could buy to put the 622 in to quiet this beast?

Just make sure your enclosures don't block air flow or it may overheat. If it is very loud, you could always have it replaced. It shouldn't be that loud.

i'm guessing you upgraded from a non-dvr box. All of the dvr's have a nice little constant hum to them. Thats the beauty of having a computer in the living room

The humming is from the spinning of the Hard Drive. Nothing you can do except for putting it in a cabinet with some type of front covering. You do get used to it after a while. Over the years, I moved my receivers in the same room with my computer, and not in bedrooms where I try to get sleep.

I can only hear mine if I put my ear next to it. Anything louder than that is not acceptable. You need to call dish and get it exchanged.

622 is much quieter than my first DVR, the 501.

go find a retailer who has one running; listen to it. If yours is noticeably louder; then call E* and exchange it.

i'm guessing you upgraded from a non-dvr box. All of the dvr's have a nice little constant hum to them. Thats the beauty of having a computer in the living room

I had a 721 previously. The 721's fan didn't run that much but I did hear the hard drive from time to time. The 721 didn't bother me but the constant whine of the 622 is annoying.

I guess I will talk to my retailer about a replacement.

Thanks for the resonse.

i have one of my 622's in my bedroom, and with it in standby (i.e no front lights) i dont notice it, except at 3am when it powers up to get the epg and stuff but that is only for a few seconds.

Mine is in my living room. With the TV off and the 622 in standby mode I can easily hear it from my kitchen which is about 30 feet from the 622.

Definitely need to get mine replaced. That's encouraging that you don't even notice yours in your bedroom. That's kind of funny because I had considered getting a 622 for my bedroom. Thank god I went with a 211.

I appreciate the response. Thanks!

I had a 721 previously. The 721's fan didn't run that much but I did hear the hard drive from time to time. The 721 didn't bother me but the constant whine of the 622 is annoying.

I guess I will talk to my retailer about a replacement.

Thanks for the resonse.

I think that's the best bet. I never really hear mine at all.

Are you clear on what it is that you're hearing? Is it the HDD or the fan, which at high speed can be quite noisy? If the fan is running constantly then you might have a cooling issue. My fan NEVER comes on except at reboot (which is the only way I know it even works!) possibly because I operate my 622 in open air with the cover removed. That way one might expect that the HDD noise could be very noticeable, but in my case it is really minimal. I need to be close to the unit and the other room noises minimal before I ever hear the HDD...

Are you clear on what it is that you're hearing? Is it the HDD or the fan, which at high speed can be quite noisy? If the fan is running constantly then you might have a cooling issue. My fan NEVER comes on except at reboot (which is the only way I know it even works!) possibly because I operate my 622 in open air with the cover removed. That way one might expect that the HDD noise could be very noticeable, but in my case it is really minimal. I need to be close to the unit and the other room noises minimal before I ever hear the HDD...

It sounds like the fan to me. It's a high pitch whine and it is ALWAYS running. It never shuts off. Even when I put it in stand by mode and go to bed when I get up the next morning the fan is still running.

Whenever I record something I can hear the HD as well.

I can easily hear the fan and HD recording something even when the TV is on. When the TV is off, you don't want to be in the room. I find it very annoying.

My retailer is sending someone out tomorrow afternoon to replace the 622 and fix a problem with tuning in local channels. I'm crossing my fingers that both problems get solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)