Annual YES Network Thread (2009 edition)

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
So, any rumblings that Dish and the YES Network brass are even talking about a contract?

I know that there is almost no chance that YES will be carried by Dish this or any other year, but you would think that they would at least give the illusion of trying to work out a deal. :what

Edit - BTW, to pre-emptively counter misinformation that seems to get posted in every YES Network thread:
1. Dish did offer to carry YES Network as a a-la-carte channel, and the Yankees brass refused.
2. YES Network does *not* want to paid for every Dish network sub in the country. Considering that most would be blacked out of Yankees live games and replays, that makes no sense. YES wants to be on the same type of programming packages as other RSNs (Classic Bronze 100 Plus or higher for NYC / CT / NJ / PA / upstate NY subs) at a cost somewhere north of $2.00 each. Whatever the actual figure is, obviously Charlie considers it too high a price to pay for an RSN.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that they want to be full time and dish doesn't want full time rsns atm...
You mean full-time HD? This wasn't an issue when the channel first launched (little or no HD then), but it could be another sticking point between Charlie and George. And of course YES probably wants even more $$$ than previously to get the HD feed of their channel.

game 7 of the 04 ALCS was probably the best sporting event i ever attended. this one lady was so pissed off at the end of the game she swiped my hat off my head from behind and threw it in the trash.and we were almost literally attacked waiting for the train to take us back to new haven.but it was all worth it and i can't wait to go to the new yankee stadium and cheer on the sox again this year.

$2 is crazy high for Dish to have to pay the carry the Yankee Games.

Why should it cost Dish Network $2 more per month in the NY DMA just so people can watch the Yankees.

The solution here would be to raise the price $2 in the NY DMA, then you got people who would not want their bills increases.

Alacarte is the ansewer to this problem and the Yankees won't accecpt it because they know not everyone would subscribe.

If you don't agree with me, look at it this way...

If Dish Network agreed to carry the YES Network, this would mean that just about every Cable TV, or Satellite subscriber in the New York DMA would be paying the New York Yankees $2 per month weather they watch the Yankees or not!

YES Notches Best-Ever Daytime Event For NY RSN; Comcast Sports Net Tallies Club's Top Starter In Chicago
Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 4/7/2009 1:40:39 PM MT

The YES Network, despite the Bronx Bombers and free-agent ace CC Sabathia taking one in the gut from the Baltimore Orioles, scored a 5.84 household rating and 541,000 total viewers in the New York DMA, according to Nielsen Media Research data. The performance made it the highest-rated weekday sports event ever for a New York RSN.
But Charlie's right, New Yorkers don't really care about the Yankees, and nobody misses YES Network. :rolleyes:

$2 is crazy high for Dish to have to pay the carry the Yankee Games.

Why should it cost Dish Network $2 more per month in the NY DMA just so people can watch the Yankees.

The solution here would be to raise the price $2 in the NY DMA, then you got people who would not want their bills increases.

Alacarte is the ansewer to this problem and the Yankees won't accecpt it because they know not everyone would subscribe.

If you don't agree with me, look at it this way...

If Dish Network agreed to carry the YES Network, this would mean that just about every Cable TV, or Satellite subscriber in the New York DMA would be paying the New York Yankees $2 per month weather they watch the Yankees or not!

Why is my DirecTV bill lower than my Dish bill was. Just more of cheap old Charlie.

Why is my DirecTV bill lower than my Dish bill was. Just more of cheap old Charlie.

TWC also carrys YES, MSG and MLB, all in hd just like D*, yet it is too expensive for Charlie?? Amazing it is not too expensive to carry Alttitude HD. Maybe because that channel is in someone's backyard.

Hey Claude, what would you say if E* decided FSN Detroit was too expensive, and said....well you can always sub to mlb.tv to get your games. Get this though; all of ny state is part of the Yankees dma according to MLB, so you can't even sub to mlb.tv and get the games online. It is dump dish or go without. It works that way with all sports subscription. So even though I sub to NHLCI, I can't watch an alternate "HD" feed of a Buffalo game on center ice, because in my case MSG-B has exclusive rights to the Buffalo game, and you are forced to watch E*'s over compressed sd version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)