Annual YES Network Thread for 2008

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
So, any hints that Dish Network is even bothering to talk to YES Network about picking up the channel this year?

YES!.. couldn't resist...

I can't forsee Dish ponying up the money for Yes network without first paying the dime for MLBEI... EI affects way more subs than those in the NYC area. Also, Yes would have to be willing to be part of the RSN package, something they have proven they dont want to do (they want to be AT100, which means all Echo subs are putting money in the pot, not just those who want the station)...

I would say, don't hold your breath...

AT100 for Yes-HD? I'm in Chicago, so what else is on Yes-HD other than the Yankees?

I mean, I'm the first one to tout Superstation WGN-HD for the Cubs games so I'm not putting Yes-HD down here in that regard, but is there other programming on Yes that makes it worth a spot in the AT-100 at the money they are asking?

what YES wants, IIRC, is carriage on the basic tier, and exorbinant $ for that.

No way Charlie is gonna do that.

LER

Sigh... and the struggle continues...

As a Yankee fan, I really, REALLY miss having YES... and I can only dream of YES HD. Hell, at the risk of having my fan membership revoked... I'd even watch NESN HD! :eek:

Thing is, I don't want to switch. I've been a happy Dish sub for 3.5 years now, enjoyed my 522, now loving my 622... maybe some day they'll even throw Hartford locals our way... :D

I know there's zero chance of YES at this point. But I don't want to believe it. :river

The exclusion of YES on Dish is why I went with Directv. I wonder how many subs they have lost because of this?

The exclusion of YES on Dish is why I went with Directv. I wonder how many subs they have lost because of this?

You have to weigh that against how many subs E* gains because of AT100. Not making deals with high dollar channels (Like YES) that demand to be placed in the basic tier is the reason AT100 still exists.

NightRyder

They are already gone. Dish does not have to worry about it much since people that wanted it would have gone to DIRECTV a long time ago.

The problem is that AT100 does not have RSNs in it. The lowest tier on DIRECTV does. Dish would have to move RSNs into AT100 to get YES.

They are already gone. Dish does not have to worry about it much since people that wanted it would have gone to DIRECTV a long time ago.

The problem is that AT100 does not have RSNs in it. The lowest tier on DIRECTV does. Dish would have to move RSNs into AT100 to get YES.

While I agree 100% with that statelemtn, one does have to wonder about the flip side of the story. How many subs would Dish get back from DirecTV if they were to advertise that they have finally add YES network. Probably isn't substantial enough to add the station and apease the few who are still with Dish and want YES, but it is an interesting queston that I doubt we will ever get an answer too...

While I agree 100% with that statelemtn, one does have to wonder about the flip side of the story. How many subs would Dish get back from DirecTV if they were to advertise that they have finally add YES network. Probably isn't substantial enough to add the station and apease the few who are still with Dish and want YES, but it is an interesting queston that I doubt we will ever get an answer too...
we have the answer. Its obviously not worth the cost

I watched a game broadcast by the YES network on Dish channel 9281 just the other day.

OK, ok, I watched a simulcast of the YES broadcast of the Yankies / Hokies game over our local CBS station on Dish channel 9281 just the other day.

We lost, by the way, but the score didn't matter in *that* game.

Of course, the actual negotiations for channels are (almost) never made public, but it was published here and other DBS sites in years past was that YES wanted carriage in the lowest tier with RSNs - the same tier as SNY and MSG are put on. Due to the higher cost of YES, Dish wanted it on a higher tier, and also offerred to put the channel as an a-la-carte choice with all revenues going staight to YES. YES refused these counter offers, Dish refused to pay $2.20 or whatever YES wanted to add it to the other NY RSNs, and there you go.

I would agree that anyone who wanted the Yankees left Dish a long time ago. I'm just a bit suprised that Dish continues to write off the largest market in the country by not carrying the area's most popular sports team.

Last year we had our own private Charlie Chat, in person with Charlie Ergen and EVP of Programming Eric Sahl and Charlie and Eric explained they yes situation it a lot of real detail. It was an increadable day for all of the SatelliteGuys members who got to attend this event.

I also know some people at Yes Network have was recently told that they haven't talked to Dish in a long long time and don't think they will anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)