Annual YES Network Thread for 2008

BTW, there is a rumor that YES Network is on the block. IMHO, a likely buyer would be Cablevision (owner of MSG and MSG Network). It makes a lot of sense because MSG Network struggles in the summer with lack of programming.

This is a strange issue involving tiers. In the NY area it's considered a given you'd have the yankees on your lowest tier of any service. Baseball is King and the thought is if I have NBC and ABC I should also have the yankees.

Last edited:
When we had the meeting with Charlie in Dallas he said Dish thought they could get more customers by having AT100 priced lower than a package that would include RSNs (AT100+). That was the argument plain and simple. YES wants to be in the basic package, Dish wants it in AT100+RSNs or higher. Dish made the calculation that it would get more customers nationwide with a lower priced package than they would lose in YES areas.

Note that many contracts include most favored nations clauses. If Dish were to put YES in the basic AT100 package the other RSNs would probably have to be put in there too.

Scott, you need to find another site to check weather at.

Its kinda cool today in Hell, MI 48169 :rolleyes:

If he had checked Virgil or Dante, he would have found it has been frozen for millennium. Given the current chilly relations between Dish and YES, it will stay frozen.:D

Well The YES network is for sale..Rumour has it that time warner and comcast are going to buy it!! (They own SNY) who knows..maybe hell will freeze over

Well The YES network is for sale..Rumour has it that time warner and comcast are going to buy it!! (They own SNY) who knows..maybe hell will freeze over

Don't hold your breath for DISH. I've been a subscriber for about seven years now and, after all this time, I can't get anything I'd like. I can't get Multi-Sport because I don't have a basic package (and I pay for AT200 annually). Whenever I lost my distant networks, I had to fight with them for two months and send numerous letters and e-mails in order to get my Atlanta area networks (and I was 70 miles north of Atlanta and the website even told me I was qualified to receive them). Then, I moved a little farther northeast into the Charlotte area (although I'm supposed to receive Greenville, SC locals according to the site). Well, I never did get those locals and only get distants through NPS now. I just finally got so sick of (and frustrated) about arguing for something that even their site says I'm qualified for that I just gave up. :(

I just want to ask one question here without getting my head bitten off. Ok I live in Arkansas not in the Yankee market. Ok lets say they get on At100 will there games be blacked out here in Arkansas. If yes then what's the point of getting the channel.

I just want to ask one question here without getting my head bitten off. Ok I live in Arkansas not in the Yankee market. Ok lets say they get on At100 will there games be blacked out here in Arkansas. If yes then what's the point of getting the channel.

1) Yes, they would.
2) Good question!

The point of getting the channel is that you would get to see the College Sports (if you are interested in non-Professional sports). Also, it has been reported that some replays of pro games are NOT blacked out.

Geoff

AND you would get all that other wonderful YES Network programming, such as Yankees Classics, Presented By Infiniti, Yankees Magazine or Yankees Hot Stove.

lol...

Also, YES has NJ Nets games, but those too would be subject to local blackouts.

My parents subscribe to Dish because of the international programming. Unfortunately, being a Yankee fan, that means no YES at home. Every year I email Dish about it, but always get "that channel is not currently offered" email response. This thread actually answers a lot of questions.

Anyone think there is a chance (especially if YES is purchased), that Dish and YES can reach an agreement somewhere in between?

The point of getting the channel is that you would get to see the College Sports (if you are interested in non-Professional sports). Also, it has been reported that some replays of pro games are NOT blacked out.

only NHL replays are not blacked out from what I've seen in general (except on Altitude, they do black them out), wasn't YES supposed to carry Devils games starting in '06 or something like that?

My parents subscribe to Dish because of the international programming. Unfortunately, being a Yankee fan, that means no YES at home. Every year I email Dish about it, but always get "that channel is not currently offered" email response. This thread actually answers a lot of questions.

Anyone think there is a chance (especially if YES is purchased), that Dish and YES can reach an agreement somewhere in between?

Phoenix, Arizona will be a beach front town before you see Yes on Dish! Or maybe after the Steinbrenner's sell the Yankees.

I live in upstate NY and get the Big 10 Channel Package with my HD Pacakage. Whats the point of me getting that channel. If Dish has room for the Big 10, they have room for YES HD and can place them there.:eek:

I live in upstate NY and get the Big 10 Channel Package with my HD Pacakage. Whats the point of me getting that channel. If Dish has room for the Big 10, they have room for YES HD and can place them there.:eek:

The problem with YES is NOT bandwidth. It's the price they (YES) want, and the tier they (YES) demand.

Take it up with Steinbrenner, et al.

See the threads from last May when we (SatelliteGuys) had the big meet with Charlie and company at Team Summit.

Anything IS possible, its just a matter if it will happen. Whoever owns YES will need to be ready to put the station either in the RSN package OR as a la carte programming. But since YES wants to be in the basic tier (and this will create issues with the favoured nation clause that I am sure some if not all of the RSNs have) I wouldn't hold my breath...