Another Airave User

JrC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
HowlerVille, MI
Yesterday I setup my Airave that Sprint was nice enough to send me free of charge.

Like many, I have very poor cell service from any cell provider. I also have no access to DSL or Cable. I have been able to get OK internet access with my Sprint Broadband card. I have a PCS zBoost with an external directional antenna. The zBoost provides me with a pretty good signal, but only for about 4 or 5 feet from the device. Not really very practical.

I have setup an older laptop with Linux to share my Sprint air card with the rest of my network. (The Sprint card replaces my Ethernet Dial-up modem). With this setup I generally get .80 to 1.5 Mb/s download and .20 Mb/s upload. Sprint says the Airave uses about 40Kb/s per active connection, so I though I would try it out.

I am happy to say that I works pretty darned good. I have had two conversations going on simultaneously with good results. The conversation will get garbled if I run a speed test during cell phone usage, so I have to watch network usage while using Airave, but that I pretty manageable.

Now I have the mediocrity both both worlds.

Jim C

Yesterday I setup my Airave that Sprint was nice enough to send me free of charge.

Like many, I have very poor cell service from any cell provider. I also have no access to DSL or Cable. I have been able to get OK internet access with my Sprint Broadband card. I have a PCS zBoost with an external directional antenna. The zBoost provides me with a pretty good signal, but only for about 4 or 5 feet from the device. Not really very practical.

I have setup an older laptop with Linux to share my Sprint air card with the rest of my network. (The Sprint card replaces my Ethernet Dial-up modem). With this setup I generally get .80 to 1.5 Mb/s download and .20 Mb/s upload. Sprint says the Airave uses about 40Kb/s per active connection, so I though I would try it out.

I am happy to say that I works pretty darned good. I have had two conversations going on simultaneously with good results. The conversation will get garbled if I run a speed test during cell phone usage, so I have to watch network usage while using Airave, but that I pretty manageable.

Now I have the mediocrity both both worlds.

Jim C

Now that's an interesting setup...using a Sprint EV signal to make a Sprint 1X signal.

I love my Airave... I also got mine free of charge when they first came out. I lived perfectly in the middle of where 3 cells overlapped with a ton of trees, so of course, no cell signal in the house. I live in a little bit better coverage area now but I enjoy having the tower to myself during football games down the street and full coverage in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)