Another Antenna Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ronnie1055

Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Carrollton (Dallas) Texas
OK... I am new to HDTV. In fact, I won't have mine (HDTV Monitor) for about a week.

My question is this... I currently have a pretty large 125Mile Antenna in my attic. I live in far north Dallas and would like to be able to receive my local HD Channels. Should this antenna work or do I need to get a specific one??

Please advise.

Regards,
Ronnine

Go to antennaweb.org and input your info. It will tell you how far the stations are, which direction, and what type of antenna is recommended.

Dallas is pretty flat, so generally speaking, unless you have big trees or rogue hills blocking you, you should be good to at least 50 miles ... But don't trust me ... visit antennaweb.

You are probably OK as long as all your DTV and HDTV OTA signals are coming from the same general direction. Problems come in when you need to receive DTV channels that are located 90 degrees or more apart. Then you need a rotor or multiple antennas or some luck in finding a "sweet spot" at which to point your antenna. Of course if these DTV channels are all broadcasting at max power, then you may not have any problems unless they are 180 degrees apart.

Carl B said:
You are probably OK as long as all your DTV and HDTV OTA signals are coming from the same general direction. Problems come in when you need to receive DTV channels that are located 90 degrees or more apart. Then you need a rotor or multiple antennas or some luck in finding a "sweet spot" at which to point your antenna. Of course if these DTV channels are all broadcasting at max power, then you may not have any problems unless they are 180 degrees apart.

Thanks Carl... I have never had any problems at all with the antenna pointed in the direction it is... of course I have probably jinxed myself saying this... but my air signal have been solid. I can't turn it on a rotor since I have it suspended in my attic. We shall see.

Thanks for your input.

:)

I would follow the advice of AcuraCL in pointing the antenna in the right direction. Then tune your OTA tuner to see which channels you are picking up and with what signal strength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts