Another Battery Question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ndennis

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern US
Reading the thread on the 4DTV battery concerned me enough to decide to replace my battery.

I'm not sure what model 4DTV I have, but I think it's about 10 years old. I just had it unplugged for a few days so the battery must still be good.

So, from what I've read I need a 3.5 volt battery. Correct? (I saw where someone used a 3 volt battery).

Thanks,

Dennis

When the battery in the GI or Motorola 4DTV receiver dies then the receiver will no longer function. The battery has a finite life. It is important to know the DOM for your receiver. This can be determined by analysis of the serial number. The date is embedded in the unit serial number for all DSR920 and DSR922 receivers.

The 7th digit is the year of manufacture. "4" would mean 2004. The 8th, 9th and 10 digits indicate the Julian day on which the unit was manufactured in that year. Julian days are the numerical day of the year and run from 1 through 365 (or 366 in leap years). If the number was 031, that would mean Jan 31. If the number was 053, that would mean Feb 22, and so on. hope this helps

Production of the 4DTV 920 & 921 (Canadian model) ended in 2003.
This is why battery replacement in these models is more important than the 922.

The 4DTV 922 model started in 2001 and ended in 2007, no more 4DTV receivers are being manufactured.
if your antenna is on the left hand corner then it is a 920 , if it is in the middle of the unit then it is a 922 hope this helps

Not sure what antenna you mean. The satellite antenna is more in the middle and the remote control antenna is on the end.

It's a GI.

I have the covers off and see the battery. But I still do not know if I should get a 3 or 3.5 volt battery?

To make things worst, there is a wicked thunderstorm now. Lots of lightning. But I have a good UPS.

I'm going to replace the battery with the unit still turned on. Looks like it should not be too hard. Easy to get at.

EDIT: I tested it and it's showing 3.6 volts. So I'm going to the electronics store now and get the best 3.5 volt battery I can find.

the antenna i am talking about is the remote one if it is on the end of the left side of your unit it is a 920 and you should replace the battery as soon as possible make sure you get a lithium battery

No problem, you sure lucked out with your unit being almost 13 years old i think you may of had a door stop very soon if you did not change the battery. Did you change it with the power on or off?My 922 is five and a half years old so i should be ok for a couple more years before i have to do the swap, so i am just trying to gather different methods by members here before i have to do it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)