Another blackout thread

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I have an upcoming scheduled recording on MASN for "Nationals Classics" (Dish Pass on "Pittsburgh Pirates") that is a replay of a game from last year (2010)...and it's blacked out. WTF??? Does anyone else with MASN have this blacked out, or is it just because I'm in the Pittsburgh DMA? Either way, it seems odd to have a game replay from more than a year ago blacked out.

MLB decided those "games" are blacked out unless you are in the market.

The other day I was blacked out of the Brewers celebration (and FS Wisco I **technically** get in MN)
I've seen most of those classic games blacked out on DIrectv too

So I have to be in the "home" market of the station doing the broadcast, not just the market of one of the teams involved? This even though this "Nationals Classics" program would never be broadcast in my home area on a home channel. Never seen this with NHL or NFL classic games...MLB must be special. :rolleyes:

yep sadly

This past spring I tired to watch Orioles, Nats, Pirates, Yankees classics only to be blacked out on all
ironically the Rockies ones usually werent

Blackouts used to be about getting people to go to the live games, or to watch the live game on their own home regional channel or to coax people to pay for a package (Gameplan, MLB EI, NFL ST, NHL CI)...THIS is just reaching too far and is abuse. I guess the stations don't want the extra national advertising dollars from the additional viewership that blackouts are preventing, or they would vehemently protest. It's ridiculous.

/soapbox

Here in Rochester NY we used to be able to watch blacked out Buffalo Bills games on Syracuse TV. Then the NFL found a quarter mile stretch of road of nith 5 houses on a rural road that was considered part of the Syracuse market that was within the 90 mile black out zone. The NFL forced Syracuse to black out the Bills games if they were not sold out.
So it's the leagues that force the black outs.

Blackouts for not selling out a live game is one thing. Blackouts for getting people to watch on the correct channel when there is a choice (local station, RSN, season package) is another. But blacking out a regional station's classic game broadcast from a year or more ago outside of that region is ridiculous. It serves no financial or incentive purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts