Another dish says my receiver is leased thread

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
This actually goes pretty far back,but I will try to make a long story short.Bought a 721 back in 05 paid over $200 for it used.Dish forced me to swap out the 721 for a 625.Best as I can recall I got a $20 credit for letting them take the receiver that was no longer supported.Anyway was going to swap the 625 for a 622 I recently purchased,told them to desub the 625.Soon as I said that I was informed that they would be sending a return box for the 625 as it shows leased.I told them no way and explained how I had ended up with the 625.The rep said she would fax whomever is in charge of that and I should hear something back within a week.

So my question is this..
Are there any customers here that had a 721/921 etc any of the receivers that were forced to be swapped that owned their equipment and now dish says they are leased?I signed nothing stating it was a new contract lease etc.Installer came in swapped out the 721 installed 625 and took 721 with him.So the way I see it it was a trade.Been with dish since 98 and owned every receiver except one leased 612 that I signed a contract for in august of this year.I just don't see how anyone can buy a receiver and be forced to swap then they say nope the new receiver belongs to us.

I believe the deal was they would lease you a receiver. You still owned your old receiver, but it was now a doorstop. There is a big thread on here about it when it happened. A lot of people griped that they owned a useless receiver and the new one was leased.

I believe the deal was they would lease you a receiver. You still owned your old receiver, but it was now a doorstop. There is a big thread on here about it when it happened. A lot of people griped that they owned a useless receiver and the new one was leased.
Agree Mike it is leased.

I had to fight them twice on this. I was sent a 522 to replace my 721, got an email from the ceo email saying yes, you own the receiver. It was replaced with a 625 under warranty, and they changed it to leased. After a few email exchanges, they finally changed it to 'purchased' in their system. I've got the emails saved and printed...

I had to fight them twice on this. I was sent a 522 to replace my 721, got an email from the ceo email saying yes, you own the receiver. It was replaced with a 625 under warranty, and they changed it to leased. After a few email exchanges, they finally changed it to 'purchased' in their system. I've got the emails saved and printed...

Thanks...
Thats exactly how it should be.Hopefully my situation will turn out the same way.Bottmline to me is they never said we will loan you the 625 for the 721.They never offered me $200 for it either and as I said before I didn't sign anything stating it was a lease.

To those that say useless doorstop...geesh it was top of the line when i purchased it,it was no fault of mine that dish decided to quit supporting linux based boxes.

Also say you bought a current ird 622 722 etc you have the protection plan,then for whatever reason they say they need to swap your current receiver once they swap then does that mean you then have a leased 622 722?If so thats pretty sorry business imo.

(I believe the deal was they would lease you a receiver. You still owned your old receiver, but it was now a doorstop. There is a big thread on here about it when it happened. A lot of people griped that they owned a useless receiver and the new one was leased.)

Could you point me to that thread?I have searched and couldn't find it.
Thanks

They done the same to me. Pretty well a take it or leave it deal. Good thing was they still waived the DVR and additional outlet fees. That is the only reason why I have stuck with Dish Network for this long. Otherwise I would have already switched.

The swapped out my 6000 for a 721 and said that the monthly fee would be waived, since I owned the 6000. That lasted a year and then they started charging me a monthly fee and they specifuically said the fee would be waived forever.

The 721pvr was never supposed to be have a dvr fee and if I remember correctly they are not even being supported any longer and were supposed to be removed from all accounts . I would write an email to the ceo@echostar.com and see what they say about it.

Yep guess I will either have to keep it subbed or give it back to them,I sure as heck don't want the $17 a month fee so just send me a box to return it.Oh and yea they waived my dvr fees but that all fell out the window with last years equipment fee structure change.Have supported dish for a long time but they sure have a funny way of treating loyal customers.

Any business that doesn't think about PROFIT as their bottom line is a business that is already going out of business.......

On the plus side at least they aren't as bad as AT&T!Thats the sorriest lack of customer support money grubbing outfit I have ever encountered.

They are trying to do it to me with my 922. I purchased one back in April from an online retailer who allowed me to trade in a couple old owned receivers. In October after a software update, it refused to pair with a remote. They then replaced it under warranty. I called a couple days ago to make some account changes, and the CSR informed me that my receiver was now leased. She said that I should have returned a defective unit to where I bought it, since if you buy something defective at WalMart, you return it there, don't you? I blew up. She was informed that the unit was replaced under a one year manufacturer's warranty and that Dish as the manufacturer replaced it. She then said that in her 3 years with Dish, she had never heard of such a policy. Obviously, Dish is now training their CSRs to lie like rugs as well. I have been a Dish customer since 1998 and have always owned, installed and maintained my equipment. I have since emailed some contacts I have in the Dish technical department about the issue. I am sure I will eventually get this corrected, but it is just so frustrating to be treated like an idiot by a person clearly trained to lie.