Another found treasure! 10.5 ft BUDdy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Added another C-lnb

Today I added another c-lnb to my 8 ft Channel Master BUD. The dish is a fixed aim at the AMC-1 [103W] and the additional lnb is focused on the G-17 [91W] for the FOX Movie Channel, it's coming in at 57% QS without fine tuning. I just hand held the lnb for the proximity, guaged it with my other hand and put it together with some scrap channel aluminum. I may try another on the other side for another sat one of these days. I'm a happy camper now! :D

Attachments

• twinC 01s.JPG
    twinC 01s.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 130
  • twinC 02s.JPG
    twinC 02s.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 121
Quad feed poles

Here's an update to this thread concerning the latest C-band dish I got free.

I just finished making and installing the quad feed poles on the 10.5 ft that I recently got from my neighbor. I spent most of the day measuring where to place them on the dish and drilling the mounting holes, I must have measured 10 times until I was satisfied. I removed the the LNB and left the temporary buttonhook pole I made so that I could use it as support when installing the new poles, the new scalar ring saddled the buttonhook pole holding it in the center. I marked the jack and elevation bracket for reference then lowered and rotated the dish in various positions as I worked on it. After getting all the poles and scalar ring on I slipped a new dual output WSI lnb on it and returned the dish back in position according to my markings. I went inside and turned on the stb to FMC (the dish is on 91W) and I have 90% QS without fine tuning, the best I had with the buttonhook was 92%.

I was sort of worried that the scalar would not end up in the center. each pole came out perfectly equal in length and all the bolt holes were perfectly lined up from the pole to the scalar. I measured in all 4 directions from edge of dish to scalar and it's perfectly centered. Measured the f/d on 4 sides of the scalar and perfect. I am so glad I don't have to redo anything, it's taken me 2 days.

Once I catch up on some rest I'll fine tune it and look into rigging up either a dual lnb or tri-lnb setup like I did on my 8 ft channel master. I just have to decide which sats to go for, the 91W stays no matter what.

PS, my wife didn't want her pic included so I blanked her out, lol :D

Attachments

• feed_poles s03.JPG
    feed_poles s03.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 139
  • feed_poles s05.JPG
    feed_poles s05.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 144
  • feed_poles s06.JPG
    feed_poles s06.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 133
  • feed_poles s07.JPG
    feed_poles s07.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 148
  • feed_poles s10.JPG
    feed_poles s10.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 145
always impressive work:

Wow, this was a textbook case for four-leggin' a button-hook BUD.!. - :eek:

And I have enormous confidence you got the feed 'n scalar in the right place, by first making that excellent button-hook replacement.
Heck, it was so good, I was ready to put some steel wire guides (fishing leader?) on the monopole, and call it done! - :cool:

Wow, this was a textbook case for four-leggin' a button-hook BUD.!. - :eek:

And I have enormous confidence you got the feed 'n scalar in the right place, by first making that excellent button-hook replacement.
Heck, it was so good, I was ready to put some steel wire guides (fishing leader?) on the monopole, and call it done! - :cool:

Anole, not braggin' but sure glad it turned out this well, no discrepancy on the scalar was more than 1/32 of an inch in any direction. After mounting the poles to the dish they lined up perfectly with the scalar bolts and the holes are tight too. I took extra caution when measuring cuz you can't always cut and bend pipe twice.

The buttonhook just won't suit if I plan to do the tri-lnb setup. This is solid as a rock now and helps reinforce the frame of the dish too. And don't mention paint again till I get it done, lol :D

After mounting the poles to the dish they lined up perfectly with the scalar bolts ...
I took extra caution when measuring ...
Next time , we'll tie one hand behind your back, and make you do a three-legger! - :eek:
Just for variety.
See if you can make that look easy, too! - :cool:
The buttonhook just won't suit if I plan to do the tri-lnb setup.
Not sure I believe that.
On Stogie's Paraclipse, a 4-leg holds a mounting plate, and the scalars are located forward (toward the dish) from it.
Oh, and ACradio has some sweet pictures doing the same thing on an 8' or 10' Channel Master...
...(but I don't think he's published them yet).

The button hook would give more experimental freedom.
I'd think that arrangement would be more conducive to multi-LNBing
Maybe it would be flimsy, though...?
This is solid as a rock now and helps reinforce the frame of the dish too.
okay, on that point I'll yield. :)
And don't mention paint again till I get it done, lol :D
eh? Paint? We don't need no stinkin' paint! - :eek:

LOL, Anole, what I meant is that my homemade buttonhook pole wouldn't do for my satisfaction, it was made of thin wall EMT and had kinks in the bends, it was flimsy. regardless of adding support wires, I prefer the 4 pole design.

I first thought it was you who mentioned something about paint but I went back and found it was Turbosat who did, my bad :)

Last edited:
paint this!

Naw, I think I suggested some gray primer on your button-hook.
And you laughed at the idea... or maybe you laughed at the thought of painting the whole dish.
Which for a guy who did such a fine job refinishing his Channel Master, seemed quite amusing! - :rolleyes:

edit:
... and yea, your four-pole looks factory!

Paint?

Naw, I think I suggested some gray primer on your button-hook.
And you laughed at the idea... or maybe you laughed at the thought of painting the whole dish.
Which for a guy who did such a fine job refinishing his Channel Master, seemed quite amusing! - :rolleyes:

edit:
... and yea, your four-pole looks factory!

Well, it's been 2 years ago April (I think) since I restored the Channel Master and I'm older now... :eek:

Last edited:
I added a second C-LNB to the 10.5' dish today and got exceptional QS on both with the new quad feed pole mod. I now get 98% QS on 91W 3820 V 30000, that's 7% higher than I'm able to get with the 8' Channel Master. I now have the 91W and 95W on the 10.5' dish, I plan to add a third one for 103W tomorrow.

The 95W 3744 V 2206 is 90% QS, that's 54% more than I got with the monopole setup.

One problem I ran into though is that the new WSI DMX242 LNB doesn't like 22KHz switches when paired with another C-LNB. I know it sounds strange or not possible but it's the truth. I tried about 8 different 22KHz switches and even replaced all the cabling with new solid copper core coax. Some switches were cheapies, 1 Ecoda, 1 Chieta and 1 EMP Centauri and none would allow me to get both LNB's to work, it was one or the other but only on the "0" port of the 22KHz switch. For some reason the "on" port wouldn't work, I couldn't even get a signal strength reading. I tried everything imaginable, I spent hours troubleshooting it until I finally said hell with it and ran a separate coax all the way to the house and connected to the EMP Centauri 4x1 diseqc and now I can get signal on both LNB's. I don't know what it is about these WSI LNB's but they aren't very compatible or not compatible at all. Looks like I'll have to run a separate coax for the 103W too.

5 LNB's planned

Update to my project BUD.

I just temporarily mounted another LNB on the quad pole mod, I now have 3 as you see in the photo, I plan to add 2 more once they arrive. All 5 will be 4° degrees apart. 87W, 91W, 95W, 99W & 103W.

I'm pulling in very good signal qualities from these 3 so far.

Attachments

• 5_LNB_setup.JPG
    5_LNB_setup.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 129
5 LNB's

I temporarily mounted the last 2 of 5 lnb's for trial testing and all is good to go. just have to tweak and all that fun stuff. All of them are getting good signals as they are.

Attachments

• 5 LNBs.JPG
    5 LNBs.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 127
You do know that you can get an actuator and just move the dish to each satellite, no? :eek: Just kidding...That 5-LNB setup looks awesome! :D:up

You do know that you can get an actuator and just move the dish to each satellite, no? :eek: Just kidding...That 5-LNB setup looks awesome! :D:up

Thanks, and yes I know, lol
that's what I'm avoiding, having the 5 lnb setup eliminates the need for the expense of extra hardware, the labor to run the conduit and wiring and above all, it's much faster channel switching, no wait for the dish to move. :D
Besides, there isn't much else on the other birds that I want, except for one but that may be accomplished by adding another LNB on the other BUD, the thinker is at work :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)