Another genie vs MRV question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

njguy99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I haven't been able to find an answer to this, so I apologize if it's been covered elsewhere...

I currently have 3 TVs at home, an HR22 and 2 very old standard boxes. Dish is a Slimline 3. I want the ability to DVR up to 4 items at once, rather than the current 2, while at the same time upgrading the old boxes to HD. I also have a third standard box that lives at another location, but is on my account. I'd like to keep that as is.

The HR22 works well, and the DVR is still rather full, so I'd prefer to make it a secondary receiver and not turn it in.

The questions:

1. Can I keep the HR22 if I upgrade, or will they force me to get a newer box?
2. Can I add the Genie in place of one of the standard boxes, and will it work with the HR22?
3. Am I better off going the MRV route, rather than genie? I'm OK keeping at least 1 standard box here at home if the alternative is re-wiring and paying a fortune for installation.

Ideas?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this, so I apologize if it's been covered elsewhere...

I currently have 3 TVs at home, an HR22 and 2 very old standard boxes. Dish is a Slimline 3. I want the ability to DVR up to 4 items at once, rather than the current 2, while at the same time upgrading the old boxes to HD. I also have a third standard box that lives at another location, but is on my account. I'd like to keep that as is.

The HR22 works well, and the DVR is still rather full, so I'd prefer to make it a secondary receiver and not turn it in.

The questions:

1. Can I keep the HR22 if I upgrade, or will they force me to get a newer box?
2. Can I add the Genie in place of one of the standard boxes, and will it work with the HR22?
3. Am I better off going the MRV route, rather than genie? I'm OK keeping at least 1 standard box here at home if the alternative is re-wiring and paying a fortune for installation.
Ideas?

1. Yes, they will not change the HR22 unless you want to replace that receiver.
  2. Yes Just tell them you want to Get the HR34 and replace one of your standard rooms. It will work 100% totally fine with your HR22
  3. MY opinion I would rather have H25s then Genie client boxes., You can keep SD receivers as well, obviously they won't be part of your MRV.
  4. No re-wiring will be rquired. They may install some addtional equipment like Swim 16 and some splitters. They also may have to add a wire to power your Swim. But again hard to say since I can't really see your system.

the box at another location may come up, and could be considered account stacking if its active same time as these

Cool thanks!

So if I go the MRV route... I should keep the HR22, get a new HR34 and an H25. That would give me 1 HD box, and 2 DVRS/4 record sources?

the box at another location may come up, and could be considered account stacking if its active same time as these
Yea , you may want to bring that Standard box home cause when they don't see it hooked up i the same location as the rest, That will be an issue. You will be giving up your HR22, and most likly the rest of your account.

Yeah, that's one of my fears. I don't want to push things for that reason. We've been safe so far that none of the installers who've come through (we had a lot of dish alignment problems over the years) have brought it up.

Yea , you may want to bring that Standard box home cause when they don't see it hooked up i the same location as the rest, That will be an issue. You will be giving up your HR22, and most likly the rest of your account.

It's easy enough to do. I probably would just for safety's sake.

Cool thanks!

So if I go the MRV route... I should keep the HR22, get a new HR34 and an H25. That would give me 1 HD box, and 2 DVRS/4 record sources?
If you Have HR34 ,HR22 and H 25 on your account, you will be able to record a Max of 7 shows at once, or Record 5 shows and watch live tv in all 3 rooms at the same time.

One other question: what extra will it cost me per month if I make those upgrades? The $20 "advanced receiver fee" plus $6 per box?

If you have 4 rececivers and whole home service it will be $20 which includes your HD service, DVR Dvr service and Whole home service, and 18$ for the other 3 recevers.

Your bill will more then likly go up at Most $2 or come down $1 depending whether or not you had Whole home before.

Ahhh most installesr could care less about the other receiver. Just tell them you use it for a camper. They will just be happy they dont have to deal with it when they do the upgrade.

I finally went ahead and called directv today. Went right to retention, and they offered me: free genie, free genie client (wouldn't give me an HR25) and free cinema connection kit. I had to pay $99 for installation plus an extra $3 for the multiroom. They're also giving me $15 off a month for 12 months. 2 year contract of course.

I could have pushed it but I figured that was a pretty good deal.

They are replacing my older standard def box (the one that lives elsewhere) with a newer one. Apparently the older box won't work in an SWM system.

One question: will I still be able to return that standard def box to its remote location without causing any problems? That has me a little worried.

I finally went ahead and called directv today. Went right to retention, and they offered me: free genie, free genie client (wouldn't give me an HR25) and free cinema connection kit. I had to pay $99 for installation plus an extra $3 for the multiroom. They're also giving me $15 off a month for 12 months. 2 year contract of course.

I could have pushed it but I figured that was a pretty good deal.

They are replacing my older standard def box (the one that lives elsewhere) with a newer one. Apparently the older box won't work in an SWM system.

One question: will I still be able to return that standard def box to its remote location without causing any problems? That has me a little worried.

They wil just replace that box with a D12. Standard box that will work with any system. Unless you are in a MPEG4 market but you would have all HD receivers by now if you were.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)