Another Grounding Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fst

Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I have my dish outside (~15 ft from the house) and my OTA antenna in the attic. Thanks to the folks here (i.e. Doc), I have followed the recommendations at mikeholt.com and my dish is now properly grounded with the house ground.

However, can anyone tell me if the OTA antenna in my attic needs to be grounded (beyond tying it in with a coax grounding block)? If so, what is recommended?

Thanks,

FST

In the NEC, it requires the antenna to be grounded , could not find an exception to the antenna being installed indoors, If it were mine I would bond it to the dish if its close enough.... i'm sure someone will tell you to call your local inspector to see what your town requires....

Agreed. Not much the average consumer can do to protect from a direct lightning strike to a dish or TV antenna. HOWEVER, proper grounding can go a long way toward protecting your expensive equpment from induced EMF from a nearby strike and/or static build-up from a variety of sources. One can debate whether either of those would be an issue in an attic-mounted system and in either case a properly installed ground block for the coax would probably suffice. If you can do it, however, there would be no harm running a 10 ga. or heavier ground wire from the metal frame of the antenna to your house electrical ground, ususally at the panel.

Plywodstatebum said:
Nope the main reason for grounding is Lightning, I doubt if it will get hit and make sure it isn't laying across electric wires. Thats about it for a indoor antenna.

Sometimes I feel like I'm at Home Depot with the advice I read about...

bobojay said:
Good one there. I agree 110%!! LOL!

Yeah no joke there... You should hear the advice they give out, more than once I've gone up to someone after they talked to an HD employee and told them how to do the job safely and to code...unbelievable!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)