Another H-20 issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

doctor J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Oct 26, 2005
I have followed many of the H-20 issues and experienced some myself but have a new twist and need some help before I deal with D* support AGAIN.
My H-20 of about 4 months died last week. Unplugged to change satellite wires and on rebooting nothing showed up, DEAD. It's a 600 model and Hot all the time even in standby,which is was most of the time. OK, i thought, just a heat issue call and replace under my protection plan , no problem. Refubished H-20 600 arrives yesterday ,connected and activated w/o incident. All channels working fine and excellent satellite strengths on cursory review. When to bed shortly thereafter and unit started a reboot which I expected was the 0F14 upgrade but lights kept flashing and "wasn't right". Checked TV and screen hung on reboot at "aquiring guide data". Would alternate back and forth between that and "searching for satellite" message. Several resets ,unplugging and repeated guided setup got nowhere. It did download guide data to 100% once but hung after that.
The peculiar problem is that prior to download all Sat signals about 80's. After reboot sat signals indeed read 0. The guided setup did pass 101 dispite 0 on all transponders. Is not a satellite issue however since Birdog at the receiver reads strength over 200 & BER-99% on 101 and 119 and other receivers have normal strenghths on that particular feed. I have my old phase III still in place as well as the AT-9 and no feed gets a detectable signal on the replacement H-20. Again all lines normal on Birdog meter from both dishes.
My question is : Has the new software killed the ability to translate the satellite signals? Can it be fixed without another replacement ? and most importantly: How do I convince them that the "searching for satellite" message on the receiver is a receiver issue and not a Dish issue requiring an unnecessary Tech visit?

Thanks in advance
Doctor j

Do you have an OTA antenna attached to the H-20? (See my post in the HD section regarding my H-20 and its rebooting.)

Sounds like a bad receiver to me. I'm surprised D* even bothers having them refurbished. Doesn't seem cost efficient to me. I have two H-20 600's and have very little problems if any with rebooting. It seems like a problem like spectrumsp says with the OTA. Some subs have more problems than others.

Try this one last attempt to save this refurb. Go to setting-reset-reset everything and let it reboot. After it reboots hit the little red button to cause it to reboot again. When the blue screen comes up that reads "hello. your directv receiver is starting up" type in 0 2 4 6 8. This should reinstall the newest software. If this doesn't work call directv and tell them that a friend of yours that works for D* came over and confirmed that the receiver is bad and get a new one sent out.

won't work still going to have to trouble shoot the issue. i would just call in again and they wil send another tech out and if you have the prot. plan as long as you have done nothing to cause this issue you will get it replaced after the ts and tech call.

Take this for what it is worth...

I am on my second H20, I am having heat issues with it. I get a black screen with blue lines scrolling through it. Any way, I talked to Cust. Retention yesterday and she admitted (for the first time to me) that the H20 has known issues with heat and when I asked her what D* is doing about it she said they are working on a fix, should be ready in a "couple of weeks" and they will be replacing receivers for customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)