Another "install" frustartion thread.

But the apartment and exclusive use areas are the tenant's property for purposes of OTARD. Perhaps you mean if the install would have to be done outside those areas but you wouldn't know that until you get to the apartment.

That's what I meant in my question to the OP. With apartment installs, I go straight to the mgment office. I speak to the mgr or the owner. Or whomever has authority over the property. This elminates all the grey "gotcha" area.
9 times out of ten the tenant doesn't like the news. But it isn't their property. If an apatment dweller wants that amount of say so, they need ot buy a house.

But the apartment and exclusive use areas are the tenant's property for purposes of OTARD. Perhaps you mean if the install would have to be done outside those areas but you wouldn't know that until you get to the apartment.
Correct. Some apartment complexes do allow placement of antennas in comon areas as long as the install is inconspicuous and neatly done. But we are at the mercy of manager changes. One manager may allow dishes to be installed in common areas. If that manger leaves a new mgr may ban all dishes off the comon areas to the exclusive use areas of each tenant. At that point the mgr has absolute authority to remove any antenna not in compliance with OTARD
. I have been to properties where there is an outright ban on satelite antennas. agaun, the owner of the property has that discretion. I was in the office of one partment complex near here. The mgr showed me the addendum to the lease signed and agreed to by each tenant. The addendum colearly stated that no sartelite antennas were permitted to be installed anywhere on the property. Before I could get the words out, the mgr showed me chapet and verse on the laws regarding this. Or the lack of laws preventing the ban. I was like "Ok. What can ya do".
I guess if a prospective renter went in and asked about satellite they were told if they wanted that service this was not the complex for them..Oh well.

I've seen just addresses alone at the beginning of the day at apartment complexes and knew from just that your not going to be getting a dish.

Only tool used was vehicle to get there.

. I have been to properties where there is an outright ban on satelite antennas. agaun, the owner of the property has that discretion. I was in the office of one partment complex near here. The mgr showed me the addendum to the lease signed and agreed to by each tenant. The addendum colearly stated that no sartelite antennas were permitted to be installed anywhere on the property. Before I could get the words out, the mgr showed me chapet and verse on the laws regarding this. Or the lack of laws preventing the ban. I was like "Ok. What can ya do".
Yeah... umm, they can't do that.
If the dish can be installed within OTARD guidelines, the property management can't do a damn thing about it.

If the dish can be installed within OTARD guidelines, the property management can't do a damn thing about it.

Well they did. And others have as well.
It's the same thing as HOA's. One gives up many rights when they enter these agreements.
For example. One place my parents used to live. When they bought their house in a gated communuity the purchase did not include mineral rights.
Another community I know the superintendant of the golf course. He says the residents there can be fined for having a dead patch of grass in their lawn.
Point is when one signs the agreement, they promise to live by certian rules that do not apply to others.
Now if what you say is true, can you send me a link that indicates where apartment owners/management companies are specificaly barred from banning satellite antennas from their respective properties?
Thanks

In a perfect world where the FCC Police would come fly out in a super sonic private jet to come do something about it, what you said would be true.

Truth is, the OTARD laws mean nothing until enough tenants make a big enough deal about it that the FCC actually responds... and even then, without some type of written final warning, alerting management of fines for non-compliance, directly from the FCC, management can, and will do whatever they want with their property.

If you've never dealt with Federal government before, good luck getting a real response!

Bottom line... we are there to install a Satellite system.... if management says no, our part is done. We are not there to fight for your rights, and if we put in a system that management sends maintenance to take down... guess who else gets screwed besides you? Yeah, that's right, the technician.

No thanks.

Only if the installer checks his onions at the door. Another reason for DIY. You don't need FCC enforcement if you are within the rules. If you (or I) install system in compliance with OTARD and maintenance takes it down, we have at least trespass and theft, maybe conspiracy to commit as well. When an owner leases property, he gives up some of the "sticks" in the bundle of property rights. What would you do if a customer were leasing a townhouse with a small yard? Still check with the owner? What's the difference?

In a perfect world where the FCC Police would come fly out in a super sonic private jet to come do something about it, what you said would be true.

Truth is, the OTARD laws mean nothing until enough tenants make a big enough deal about it that the FCC actually responds... and even then, without some type of written final warning, alerting management of fines for non-compliance, directly from the FCC, management can, and will do whatever they want with their property.

If you've never dealt with Federal government before, good luck getting a real response!

Bottom line... we are there to install a Satellite system.... if management says no, our part is done. We are not there to fight for your rights, and if we put in a system that management sends maintenance to take down... guess who else gets screwed besides you? Yeah, that's right, the technician.

No thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)