Another major outage?

Yesterday's problem lasted through bedtime. This morning speed is back up to 13.8Mbps--not quite the 15, but nearly OK.

I see you used an Atlanta, GA server for one of your tests. You might want to use speedtest.cfl.rr.com in addition to your personal favorite. This will rule out any bad servers outside Brighthouse's backbone network. I'm not saying this is your problem. But just so you know.

I see you used an Atlanta, GA server for one of your tests. You might want to use speedtest.cfl.rr.com in addition to your personal favorite. This will rule out any bad servers outside Brighthouse's backbone network. I'm not saying this is your problem. But just so you know.

he did run 3 of his tests using the orlando server.

Yes an Orlando server not on BHNS backbone, what cablevet is saying if you use the speedtest.cfl.rr.com site it will test your speed to BHNs backbone, this will help you determine if its a problem on the BHN network itself or the link to the "internet" itself.

Yeah, mine was craptastic for a lot of yesterday too over in the Oviedo area. Seemed to be alright by 10 or 11pm last night though.

I have never trusted that one because it ALWAYS, without exception, gives me higher numbers than any other test--and I run several, not just speedtest.net.

Last edited:
As "the insider" stated above.. The purpose of my post is to determine if the speed issue is on BHN backbone. Otherwise any other server should give you close to the same result. :cool:

I have never trusted that one because it ALWAYS, without exception, gives me higher numbers than any other test--and I run several, not just speedtest.com.

Thats because it is located on the BHN backbone. Which is the best way to test your connection to BHN. BHN can only control your speed on "their" network, one speed you get to some other network BHN can not control.

Its good to do as you do though using differnt spots to test. As you can tell Im sure you will get varying results from each.

Thats because it is located on the BHN backbone. Which is the best way to test your connection to BHN. BHN can only control your speed on "their" network, one speed you get to some other network BHN can not control.
Its good to do as you do though using differnt spots to test. As you can tell Im sure you will get varying results from each.

However there is/are a gateway router(s)--or more likely these days, switches-- routing from the BHN backbone out to the rest of the net. That/Those can be a point of congestion too. Is that a BHN router or somebody else's? Tests to a router on the backbone would not go through one of these.

the speedtest server is located at the datacenter which is outside the 'cable network' but inside bhns network. its the best test to determine you lines power. congestion at the core routers although possible is highly unlikly unless there is a segment fault as bhn cfl links directly into the permier network provider in the us level3

kay, someone please splain this to me. just ran a speed test. at speedtest.net my download speed was 11kb/s. at rr speedtest, it was 24. that's a major descrepancy in my book. i used the orlando server for speedtest.net!

iceturkee the cfl.rr one tests your "true through put" meaning what your modem can really max out at. Your speeds from speedtest.net are based on a number of factors including the route to the speedtest.net server, the congestion at speedtest.net, and the link to them and bhn.

the cfl.rr.com speedtest is perfect for seeing if their is a problem on the BHN network causeing slow downs.

Speedtest.net, dslreports.com etc are great to get a look at how quickly your connection can handle data from different locations outside of the local network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts