Another Milestone Achieved

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
52% of Americans no longer pay for cable TV.

For younger generations, cord cutting is even more prevalent, according to Samba TV. 65% of Gen Z and 58% of Millennials do not pay for cable TV. 57% of Gen X ( my group) and 43% of Baby Boomers have also said goodbye to cable TV.

By the way, the link at the bottom contains a link to SAMBA, which has the data, I do have a log in and when they say Cable TV, they mean cable and Satellite, total subs-48%

Just 8 years ago, Cable/Sat had 80% of all US Households, as the article says, down to 48% of all households.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: navychop and ncted
With the cost of everything else going up, who wants to pay for TV?
I do not mind paying for value, namely new programming, do not want to pay for Traditional Live TV, where there are 200 Channels and the majority is reruns or fake reality stuff.

I am happy with Dish. But 2-3 years from now, I may have to make a hard decision. Frankly, I am already weaning SWMBO onto YT, Prime, etc.

We will see.

Reactions: Bobby
I do not mind paying for value, namely new programming, do not want to pay for Traditional Live TV, where there are 200 Channels and the majority is reruns or fake reality stuff.
Speaking of fake reality stuff, I am starting to wonder about the truthfulness of the following reality series:
1) Gold Rush (Discovery Channel)
2) Moonshiners (Discovery Channel)
3) The Curse of Oak Island (History Channel)

Has anyone here watched these? Any opinions about which ones are fake or staged?

IMO, I have problems accepting as fact certain elements of all three of the ones I listed.

For example, on Moonshiners how do they televise a show about illegal activity and yet the people engaging in it never get caught?

Just wondering what you guys think.

Speaking of fake reality stuff, I am starting to wonder about the truthfulness of the following reality series:
1) Gold Rush (Discovery Channel)
2) Moonshiners (Discovery Channel)
3) The Curse of Oak Island (History Channel)

Has anyone here watched these? Any opinions about which ones are fake or staged?

IMO, I have problems accepting as fact certain elements of all three of the ones I listed.

For example, on Moonshiners how do they televise a show about illegal activity and yet the people engaging in it never get caught?

Just wondering what you guys think.
I've followed Oak Island since the late '60's. IMO, whatever the treasure was, was found years ago, and they successfully kept their mouth shut about it.

So, that WAS real at one time, but these guys are milking the tv show for all it's worth. The stuff they've found is obviously planted by them to be found.

I've followed Oak Island since the late '60's. IMO, whatever the treasure was, was found years ago, and they successfully kept their mouth shut about it.

So, that WAS real at one time, but these guys are milking the tv show for all it's worth. The stuff they've found is obviously planted by them to be found.
yep, been following it since the late 70's
imho Samual Ball found something
how else does one get rich being a cabbage farmer on that island

Moonshiners is fake too. In fact where they are at its legal to make Moonshine. If it were illegal since they guys show their faces and where they are, don't you think law enforcement would have seen them on TV by now. :D :D

Probably the realest show of them all of Gold Rush, but even then a lot of stuff is done for th TV cameras to keep things interesting.

Reactions: N6BY and djont57
I agree with the previous three posts. The most "true to reality" is Gold Rush, but I agree that much is done for the cameras. I wonder how much the TV show pays the miners to be in the show?

... Just curious Scott, where in the US is it legal to make moonshine? (Not that I have any interest in making my own, lol).

When we first got Satellite it was cool back in 97. We had a lot of channels to choose and they were creating new ones all the time. Now having over 200 channels doesn't mean as much. Since most of the programming is madeup of old reruns from network tv. Very little original programming on any of them. So if you want a lot of channels that have old reruns then sub to Pluto tv, because it is FREE. You can also sub to Sling tv for just free programming. I have an ota antenna and Tablo ota dvr and a Tv Anywhere dvr for Sling that records 4 channels at the same time on ota channels. I am set for locals ,so no fee there. I love the Satellite interface but I don't love the constant price hikes and the extra fees just to watch tv in any room are ridiculous. I think in the future it will be more important to be able to access shows you like or have heard of and not the massive line up of channels. :smug

I agree with the previous three posts. The most "true to reality" is Gold Rush, but I agree that much is done for the cameras. I wonder how much the TV show pays the miners to be in the show?

... Just curious Scott, where in the US is it legal to make moonshine? (Not that I have any interest in making my own, lol).
Moonshine is legal, it's all in the alcohol content.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it states "personal use only". And Moonshiner's TV show shows them selling the stuff. I still don't see how they can get away with it.
You can legally buy moonshine. Although I’m not sure it’s true “moonshine”.