Another "Move" question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brose1958

Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Bainbridge, GA
I have a vip 211k, top 120 package, am hooked up to an OTA antenna, and have an external hard drive.

I have been reading the threads about "moving" to gain access to different local channels. Still trying to figure it out. My zip code is 39817 which I assume puts me in the Tallahassee, Fl. market? Have not figured out where to find out what area is served by what market, DMA, or whatever it is called. Can someone please tell me how/where to find this info.

Here is my situation. I live about 50 miles north of Tallahassee. FL., about 50 miles south of Albany, GA., and about 50 miles east of Dothan, AL. We live in a hole as far as communication goes. I can't even get a decent internet connection. Have to use expensive, slow satellite ISP.

I can get the Tallahassee, PBS, and Dothan stations using my OTA antenna without rotating it. Must rotate antenna about 90 degrees to get the Albany stations, but then I loose Dothan and PBS stations.

However, I only get the main Tallahassee and PBS channels (no sub channels) for my locals from dish network. Why can't I get the Dothan and Albany stations? Why can't I get the sub channels?

If I do "move" will I loose the capability of seeing my local channels with my OTA antenna through the dish network receiver?

Please bear with me. I have only been using dish for less than a month and I am trying to figure it all out.

Thanks for any advice, help, (miracles).

Brad

Lots of questions. Let me take a swing at a few. You will not lose the guide info or capability to receive multiple markets via OTA antenna when you "move". What "moving" does is have Dish change the local DMA that is valid for your service address. So, when you "move", the old local channels disappear off the satellite, and another set appear assuming you are in the spotbeam for the new markets. Sadly, Dish doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry subchannels, so they may never appear on Dish or DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)