another need help on an antenna

joeywatkins

Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I currently live approx. 65-75 miles to memphis towers. I live in a 2 story house in Hayti, MO 63851, the terrain is flat between here and memphis. I believe all of the staions in memphis are uhf. Is it wise to buy an antenna with vhf or should i just stick to uhf. I would love to be getting these channels in memphis in HD. Someone please help me out on this issue.

No need for the combo, but you need a BIG directional UHF maybe and amp too just to come close to receiving these (you are 70 - 77 miles easy) pointed to 183deg heading. Look at these:

Winegard HD9095P
Antennas Direct 91XG
Terrestrial Digital 91XG

joeywatkins said:
I currently live approx. 65-75 miles to memphis towers. I live in a 2 story house in Hayti, MO 63851, the terrain is flat between here and memphis. I believe all of the staions in memphis are uhf. Is it wise to buy an antenna with vhf or should i just stick to uhf. I would love to be getting these channels in memphis in HD. Someone please help me out on this issue.

You'll need three things;

High gain UHF antenna; Channel Master 4228 is highly rated
Low noise preamp; Channel Master 7777 is a good choice
Height; Rooftop with tripod

Aim the antenna for Memphis and see if you get all the networks. Add a rotator is you want to aim for other cities.

Although a great antenna, I didn't list the CM4228 because he needs the highest possible gain value. The CM4228 is a 12db gain and the other three are all / or over a 14.2db gain value and specifically directionals. The addition of the CM7777 preamp is almost a must.

charper1 said:
Although a great antenna, I didn't list the CM4228 because he needs the highest possible gain value. The CM4228 is a 12db gain and the other three are all / or over a 14.2db gain value and specifically directionals. The addition of the CM7777 preamp is almost a must.

The gain value depends on the channel. Here is an independant analysis of the various antennas.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

The net gain chart can be a bit misleading as it takes into account losses due to a poor VSWR match. If you are using a preamp I don't believe that VSWR matters as much.

indecisive

I am still not sure what the best solution would be. I have been quoted a professional installer to provide everything and install for around $400 but I know I can do it for a lot cheaper than that. But choosing the most effecient one is difficult.

In reference to my distance to memphis i got those figures from a website that directs me from my house to the antennas and I was wondering if those were very accurate.

The ones that were mentioned by charper1 seem to be very directional, i am not sure if that would be good for me or bad...being that i live approx. 70 miles from the antenna i know that the signal will get wider as it gets further from me but will it recieve all of the antennas in memphis without much ajustment.

Thanks for the help so far, but i think I may need some more so that I get a piece of mind about my decision.

what about this antenna

I have read where someone was successful with this setup from about 80+miles
Winegard 8200p, and the amp is the ap-8780.

Yes, a uni-directional with amp is what you would want. All the HD8200P is: is the combo VHF/UHF ($170) of the uni-directional UHF only HD9095P that I use. ($83) Why pay double for VHF add-on that you don't need? With the HD8200P the UHF portion is still uni-directional (must be aimed at the proper heading). Spend that saved $90 buying the antenna lead/cable and getting someone to help mount it as high up as you can afford; like a chimney mast. Add the Winegard AP8275 or AP8283 Pre Amplifier.

Last edited:
I recommend The CM 4228 over the yagi type for most applications because the yagis have such a small capture area that if your signal moves around any amount (as UHF is know to do) you WILL experience dropouts from signal fluctuation, whereas with the larger surface area 4228 your signal will be more stable.

It also costs 1/3 of the other antennas - around $50.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks for all of the input i am still undecided or broke really it is all the same but i will be checking into buying something soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)