Another "new guy" question

klnaco

Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I just had Dish installed yeaterday, which included a 322 receiver, 2 remotes (1 IR & 1 UHF) in the DC area, and so far so good. The installer and the service has been very good.

I am running two TV's off the 322 currently but I have two other TV's in the home that I would like to run off this as well. Can I use a cable splitter to feed the other two TV's and then purchase two additional UHF remotes to bring the other two TV's up or do I need to have a second 322 installed?

Thanks for your help!

Ken

Welcome! :wave

If you want the other 2 TV's to run off the same tuner as the "remote" TV, all you would need is a splitter. All 3 TV's would see the same program.

If you want these 2 TV's to be able to see other programs, then you would need another receiver.

First, Welcome to E*! I have been a E* subscriber for some years and I really like the service. I live "down in a hollow" (no OTA possible) and I am hoping Charlie will get our locals in HD soon.

Anyway, to answer your question - I am assuming you are feeding your TVs via RF - your choices pretty much are 1) purchase some additional UHF remotes & get an RF amplifier and run your feeds from that or 2) get another E* receiver.

I don't think an RF amplifier is necessary. The 322 and 522 have amped the output for TV2 since many people are splitting just as described in the post. My advice is to try it first, then look into getting an amp if there is noticable degradation. You can also run TV2s using RCA cables (I got one from the web for about $20 that runs 100' with no quality issues). Also, regarding the additional UHF remotes, there are always an ample supply on E-bay, just make sure they are for the 322.

Thanks to you noth for responding. If I'm understand correctly, if I buy 2 additional UHF remotes and then split the second TV feed from the 322, which is supplying the 2nd TV now, then what I will basically get is 1 TV with programming and 3 TV's sharing the second TV's programming. I may need an amp if the signal strength is not strong enough.

Am I making sense?

THX

Ken

klnaco said:
Thanks to you noth for responding. If I'm understand correctly, if I buy 2 additional UHF remotes and then split the second TV feed from the 322, which is supplying the 2nd TV now, then what I will basically get is 1 TV with programming and 3 TV's sharing the second TV's programming. I may need an amp if the signal strength is not strong enough.
Ken

You won't need an amp. I have done what you are doing and my TVs couldnt be further apart. In one corner on the main floor I have a receiver. The cable output goes to the lower floor on the opposite corner of the house to a splitter where it has a second splitter for TV and VCR. The first splitter output goes back up to the main floor to another TV. I bought a second remote used on Ebay for about $13 shipped. Much better than the Dish New price. Works great! The upper room is our maaster bedroom and the room below is her craft room. We only use the TV in the bedroom to watch news or Jay Leno monologue (and sometimes when ironing she watches old movies) so there is no conflict in use of the TVs. She's never used the VCR since we got Dish as I also have a (non-Dish) DVR with hard disk which connects to the other 322 - but that's another (awful) story.

JohnP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts