Status
Please reply by conversation.

DiscoLoveGrapes

Zero Transponder Founded
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 14, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Thanks to Iceberg for the welcome previously. Yup, I'm another member from the Twin Cities area of Minnesota (Fridley, to be exact). I've been lurking for a few months (and attempting to decipher Lyngsat for over a year -- I'm making headway)

Anyway, I've been a shortwave fan for almost 20 years. I'm a bad news junkie, in addition to a fan of learning about other cultures' customs and music. Unfortunately, with shortwave losing a number of stations over the years, I've been eying FTA for awhile. The roomate/home owner is just fine with a 30-36" dish on the house, on the condition I alert him to any additional CFL or Blue Jays games (he's from Canada). So, I thought now may be a good time to dive in.

So... two unrelated questions:

1) A Globecast dealer just opened less than 3 miles from my house. I went in on one of his first days and heard the sales pitch. I'd love to buy local, but I'm wondering what I gain or lose from their Globecast receiver. Of course, I could buy channels Globecast has on T5 (slightly pricey, tho), but would I be able to receive anything else, such as wild feeds? He mentioned a motor, so I'm guessing they can pick up more than just Globecast feeds. Their receiver is AC3, which is a big plus to me - I'm eyeing those PBS channels.

2) I noticed a few audio channels from Canada on Nimiq 1 and others. Since these seem to be on a bird meant for DBS, would I need more than a Universal LNBF to receive these?

I hope these two questions make sense. Again, thanks for all of your help so far. I've learned a lot just by lurking -- which helps that there are a number of Minnesotans here (99% sure my True south satellite is IA6).

Thanks again!

1. If your dish is motorized then you can get wild feeds on other satellites.

2.With the correct LNBF (DBS) you can pick up the few DBS channels that are up there in the clear. Invacom have a new CP/LP LNBF that is just about to go on sale , that would work for both KU and DBS (LP/CP) polarity.

Thanks to Iceberg for the welcome previously. Yup, I'm another member from the Twin Cities area of Minnesota (Fridley, to be exact). I've been lurking for a few months (and attempting to decipher Lyngsat for over a year -- I'm making headway)

Anyway, I've been a shortwave fan for almost 20 years. I'm a bad news junkie, in addition to a fan of learning about other cultures' customs and music. Unfortunately, with shortwave losing a number of stations over the years, I've been eying FTA for awhile. The roomate/home owner is just fine with a 30-36" dish on the house, on the condition I alert him to any additional CFL or Blue Jays games (he's from Canada). So, I thought now may be a good time to dive in.
There’s CFL games on FTA…but they’re the same ones on Channel 45 (KSTC). Sadly, the Jays aren't on any OTA station in Canada so a FTA box really won't help.

1) A Globecast dealer just opened less than 3 miles from my house. I went in on one of his first days and heard the sales pitch. I'd love to buy local, but I'm wondering what I gain or lose from their Globecast receiver. Of course, I could buy channels Globecast has on T5 (slightly pricey, tho), but would I be able to receive anything else, such as wild feeds? He mentioned a motor, so I'm guessing they can pick up more than just Globecast feeds. Their receiver is AC3, which is a big plus to me - I'm eyeing those PBS channels.
Make sure the receiver can get stuff other than Globecast. Some Globecast receivers disable the menus so they can only get Globecast stuff. Did they mention what receiver it is (model)? Also, PSB (not PBS) : ) is also local (Minneapolis area)
2) I noticed a few audio channels from Canada on Nimiq 1 and others. Since these seem to be on a bird meant for DBS, would I need more than a Universal LNBF to receive these?
Yes. You would need a DBS LNB (like an old DirecTV or Dish LNB). The radio stations from Canada are great!
I hope these two questions make sense. Again, thanks for all of your help so far. I've learned a lot just by lurking -- which helps that there are a number of Minnesotans here (99% sure my True south satellite is IA6).
There’s a few of us Minnesotan’s here :D
Yes IA6 is the true south

I am new here too, but I would say a receiver that could pick up Globecast AND FTA is the way to go for sure. I have 94 channels on IA5 that are of the international flavor-all free-perhaps you should check those out before subscribing. I think the Pansat 3500 does both Globecast and FTA. Not sure where you get the access card though. Good review by Iceberg:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77419

DiscoLoveGrapes said:

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts