another newbie with lots of questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mucketbucket

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
louisville,ky
After 2 years of staring at this big satellite dish in my yard i decided to try to get it working. I has been a learning experience to say the least. After talking to a friend of mine he set me up with a uniden sq530 and a coolsat 5000 to play with along with a california brand c/ku lnb. I am getting quite a few channels with it. It is great, but, it appears there are still a lot of channels i am not getting because they are dvb-s2 and mpeg 4. What would be a good lnb and receiver to get so i could get those additional channels. I have been looking at the bsc621 and dmx741 lnb's. but not sure about the receiver setup to use. The dish is a 10ft unimesh dish with the small mesh, it just has a few holes in it where some idiot used it for target practice before I bought this home. Is there a new microbox receiver coming out soon that would work?

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

i am using the uniden to control the actuator with. My friend said something about a new microbox for around 125.00 coming out in march that is supposed to do everything also. Have you heard anything about it.

Last edited:
thanks, that is probably the one he was talking about. Is it out yet or where will i be able to find it when it is released?

Last edited:
If the bullet holes are not too big it should not make much difference. Maybe you can find another donor dish in your area to replace those damaged panels. I have a couple of salvage dishes in my barn if you really need to get panels and cannot find them anywhere near you.

If you have the money you might want to consider a Gbox or Vbox positioner. One of these boxes hooks to a FTA receiver through the coax and then hooks up to the BUD and controls the actuator and polarity automatically when you change channels on the FTA receiver.

Do the vbox7 mover's that are on ebay do a good job or do i need to invest a little more to get something else? And do you know why some of them are 220v and some are 110v and which would i need to work with the new microhd coming out with my 10 ft dish.

Haven't seen the ebays ads , but some of them might be for sale to europe or someplace where the voltage is higher than here. You can do it as you are, using the analog sat box to move the dish, or you can get that vbox to control the actuator motor to move it. I have a separate motorized dish for ku band, which is just an old primestar satellite dish with a horizon-to-horizon motor controlled by the fta box. The big dish still gets moved with an analog satellite receiver from the 90s.

The dish is a 10ft unimesh dish with the small mesh, it just has a few holes in it where some idiot used it for target practice before I bought this home. Is there a new microbox receiver coming out soon that would work?

Mucketbucket,

As long as there aren't dozens of large bullet holes or giant gaping shotgun blast holes in the dish, I wouldn't worry about them. They probably won't hurt your reception. If there are many, many holes or they are quite large, you can just epoxy some very thin gauge brass shim stock or aluminum to the dish panel. Aluminum foil will do for a test, but not for a permanent solution. It would be too flimsy.

RADAR

Thanks,

There are only a couple of holes in the actual dish. The other holes were the lnb which i have replaced with an old california brand but i just ordered a new dmx741 c/ku that should be here in next few days.

The openbox receivers are dirt cheap and will scan in lots of channels. If you are on a budget you can't beat them. I wouldn't spend over 90$ for one though. If you search around you can get them for like 70-90$. That is a nice setup you describe do you have any pics? I just picked up a dmx741 for my 10 footer too.

The openbox receivers are dirt cheap and will scan in lots of channels. If you are on a budget you can't beat them. I wouldn't spend over 90$ for one though. If you search around you can get them for like 70-90$. That is a nice setup you describe do you have any pics? I just picked up a dmx741 for my 10 footer too.

thanks for the info, I don't have any pics yet but am planning on installing the 741 this weekend and will take some then if I can remember. I am waiting on the new geosat microhd to come out and am planning on buying it if it works out along with a vbox or gbox for moving the dish. I have a pretty good shot at the sky from where it is from about 83west to about 121west so i am hoping to get some pretty good channels.

I got the dmx741 installed over the weekend and seems to be working correct. I had to set the lnb power to 18v to get the ku working properly. Took a couple of pictures today, I am so ready for the new microhd box to be released.
CIMG9626.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)