Another one bites the DUST (622 that is)

DISH_NC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Well, I will be getting the 3rd replacement ViP622 in as many months.... The sad thing is this last one was a unit whose HDMI port actually worked - the original and longest lasting one never did.

The first one lasted well over a year, then it's hard drive died one day when I disconnected power to add another EHD... Figures - just when I was about to transfer a bunch of programs over, it died and wouldn't come back up.

The first replacement they sent started rebooting a couple times a day and by the 4th day, was rebooting every 30 seconds or so. Managed to save some programs to EHD from that one (not many recorded in 4 days so not much lost). The 3rd one, current one, worked for 2 months and today started doing the reboot thing as well. It stays up for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. In the process of off-loading programs one at a time to the EHD.

The replacement is on the way so hopefully in the next few days, I'll be up again with HD. Almost time to invest in another HD receiver.

I'm thinking if my newest 622 craps out I'm going to ask what it'll cost to get a 722 or the single TV receiver with 2 sat tuners and the OTA tuner, I forget the numbers.

By the way, you don't need to disconnect the 622's power to plug in an external drive. Just plug it in the usb port.

By the way, you don't need to disconnect the 622's power to plug in an external drive. Just plug it in the usb port.
I realize that.... I was adding a second drive and the existing power strip didn't have enough outlets for the additional drive. So, I was swapping the smaller strip with a larger one, that had outlets more suited to 'Power Brick' adapters.

That swap out of power strips required that I power down the 622, Slingbox, first EHD, etc....

It's sitting on a shelf under the widescreen and the front and back are fully open and at least 3" on the sides as well. No issues with airflow.

In fact, the previous model, the one that lasted over 24 months, was in a cabinet with the A/V receiver and a glass door in the front for the first 12 months of the 24+. After the SONY SXRD arrived, it was moved under the TV in the open cabinet/Shelf unit.

All components are protected with a UPS and Surge protection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts