another one leaving dish

foghorn2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
las vegas
Its been a good three years here and now it is time to go.

Cable and TV programming no longer fits my preferences. The channels are all full of junk and repeats. Not so much Dish's fault, but I blame CNN, TVLand, VH1 Classics and all the other crap channels with crap programming. I officially pulled the plug on Dish Network Today.

Apple TV and the many DVD's available have become our sources for entertainment.

To the OP, I understand. I considered doing the same until my gf nixed the idea. There's nothing wrong with saving a little money in uncertain times.

The one thing you can depend on if you are on this web board is this: YOU LOVE TV. And if you love tv , you will use a service of some kind for tv reception. Whether it is cable or satellite or even ota, you will go with one. And if you have ever had a dvr , you will want to keep one. So out of everything you can cut out of your budget, tv isn't one. In fact I see more people staying home and watching tv in uncertain , recessionary times. I have had cable/satellite of some kind, since I was in junior high school back in the mid 70s. After having DISH for 12 years next month, I am definately spoiled by using their dvrs. I could never go back to not using a dvr to record tv. I don't have enough time to actually watch live tv any more. Not with working 60 hours or more a week on 12 hour shifts. Once you go dvr, you don't go back.

Ever since my son came along, I'm yet to watch a single live event (sans a few football games). Even if I'm watching it "live," (not a scheduled DVR event, or just found it channel surfing) I'm still pausing it from time to time so I can change diapers, pick up broken glass, clean up spills, pull objects out of noses, etc. :D

Apple TV and the many DVD's available have become our sources for entertainment.

Apple TV Hardware + BOXEE Software + Netflix Subscription = first major crack in the dam of the Cable/Satellite industries. That dam will mostly collapse in, I bet, 5 years.

Apple TV Hardware + BOXEE Software + Netflix Subscription = first major crack in the dam of the Cable/Satellite industries. That dam will mostly collapse in, I bet, 5 years.

Yep, Cable/Sat is like the state of music and radio today. Stale and boring dumbed down to the lowest level. To get the channels you really may want, to have to subscribe to the higher tiers. And when you get the channels, they really dont show what you really want from those channels and they repeat the crap you don't want over and over again.

As for the DVR, yes Dish has the best. Problem is the content you want is at the DVD store, not on Dish Network. Heck, the video podcasts on Apple TV has better content than Dish, and that stuff is free!

As for the DVR, yes Dish has the best. Problem is the content you want is at the DVD store, not on Dish Network. Heck, the video podcasts on Apple TV has better content than Dish, and that stuff is free!

I agree. I'm not as thrilled having satellite service back as I thought I would be.

8 channels or so of HBO and I still can't easily find stuff worth watching? HGTV showing pre-stretched re-reruns of non HD content? Disney looking like I'm watching TV through a frosted pane of glass due to the obnoxious compression levels? Eh.

And the DVR is 'nice' but being new to it, I find it sub-par to 'instant on-demand hulu/netflix'.

I shouldn't be COMPELTELY negative...I discovered Palladia, which is fun. HDNet is pretty good too. So, I'll put up with the monthly bill for a while more, but will keep a close eye on the Hulu/Netflix/etc online offerings.

I agree. I'm not as thrilled having satellite service back as I thought I would be.

8 channels or so of HBO and I still can't easily find stuff worth watching? HGTV showing pre-stretched re-reruns of non HD content? Disney looking like I'm watching TV through a frosted pane of glass due to the obnoxious compression levels? Eh.

And the DVR is 'nice' but being new to it, I find it sub-par to 'instant on-demand hulu/netflix'.

I shouldn't be COMPELTELY negative...I discovered Palladia, which is fun. HDNet is pretty good too. So, I'll put up with the monthly bill for a while more, but will keep a close eye on the Hulu/Netflix/etc online offerings.

Satellite service is just an alternative to cable, but no longer viable. You figure you would get content from around the planet and all you get is what your wired service from your local cable provider would get you, unless you pay for a overpriced package of just one language program.

HGTV? what a bunch of junk.
Science Channel HD? Talk about crap, you could more science by buying the Cosmos series on Amazon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts