Another reason to hate Sony and their formats.

Yep. But it hasn't bothered me yet on my PS3. If the biggest of my problems is that it takes 60 seconds instead of 30 to load a level, I think I'll survive. I mean, really... you brought up a similar point: if you have to switch discs once in 20 hours, big deal. Well, if I have to wait 30 more seconds once every 20-30 minutes, big deal.
yeah that one got me too:p

Yep. But it hasn't bothered me yet on my PS3. If the biggest of my problems is that it takes 60 seconds instead of 30 to load a level, I think I'll survive. I mean, really... you brought up a similar point: if you have to switch discs once in 20 hours, big deal. Well, if I have to wait 30 more seconds once every 20-30 minutes, big deal.

We all decided none of us would budge on our opinions about this. so we have quietly moved to a more open debate that actualy matters to the HD-DVD/Blue - Ray War.

But I do hear you and am respecting your opinion.

Fair enough, even if i still say those made the news because of the unusual nature of the cases. All except the last one. That one could possibly be valid and goes with my argument that college students are probably the biggest offenders.

I think file sharing is a little different than copying songs to my own iPod... but I'm sure you'll tell me I'm missing the point somehow.

Dang, I said I was done with this topic.

Well I think the connection or the correlation line is similar to this.

RIAA does not want you to share music (which you shouldn't)
So RIAA doesn't want you to copy your music from the disk to your devices.
Since once you copy said Item you are stealing it. (from my original post here).

So then what stops the MPAA from not letting you make back up copies of your own DVD's or HD-DVD or Blue-Ray if this law passes.

I personally have lost 10 + movies to my 3 children's every day activities. Man they can be destructive. those are movies I have had to replace.

Fair enough, even if i still say those made the news because of the unusual nature of the cases. All except the last one. That one could possibly be valid and goes with my argument that college students are probably the biggest offenders.

yeah college students do tend to be, I will give you that. But I think the RIAA is way to sue happy. And that taking away our Free Usage rights is not the way to solve this problem (If anything it will increase the lawsuits).

lets give people a reason not to share. Like here is your personal ID (created just for music listening) if it is found out on the network then its your liability.

Enables them a way to track down sharers with evidence, and leaves us the rights to be able to use them however we want (for personal use that is).

Metroblogging Minneapolis: RIAA sues two Minnesotans; confirms idiocy
TG Daily - Former RIAA defendant wants payback

yeah college students do tend to be, I will give you that. But I think the RIAA is way to sue happy. And that taking away our Free Usage rights is not the way to solve this problem (If anything it will increase the lawsuits).

lets give people a reason not to share. Like here is your personal ID (created just for music listening) if it is found out on the network then its your liability.

Enables them a way to track down sharers with evidence, and leaves us the rights to be able to use them however we want (for personal use that is).
Good idea in theory, but how do you propose you get people signed up for that? Its a logistical nightmare.
Internet? Whats to stop joe blow from putting in false info
Also in this day and age, whats to stop someone from stealing your personal ID? Talk about wrongful lawsuits if that happend

Good idea in theory, but how do you propose you get people signed up for that? Its a logistical nightmare.
Internet? Whats to stop joe blow from putting in false info
Also in this day and age, whats to stop someone from stealing your personal ID? Talk about wrongful lawsuits if that happend

Yeah, logistical nightmare that it might be, I bet you would get a lot of cooperation if you made it an ultimatum.

Either do it this way or lose those rights.

I just don't want to lose my ability to Fair use. :D

RIAA Sues Maine Man Over Five Songs Allegedly Shared Online | Digital Media Wire

RIAA Sues Woman Who Has No Computer For Sharing Music
BLABBERMOUTH.NET - RIAA Goes After NINE INCH NAILS Fans Over Deliberate Leak Campaign

Pierce Law IP News Blog » RIAA Sues 14 Year-Old Girl

I would stop.....you are posting stuff obviously meant as a joke for proof about outrageous lawsuits.......

Ok one joke one got through my filters. (had a bunch from the Onion as well :D)

But you get my point. They really don't care who they sue. Only that the Body count is high.

I would surmise that their theory is that if they make enough examples out of people people will stop downloading.

And that means that if you accidentally share a file (this is possible especialy over unsecured wireless connections.) than you to will be sued.

And these last few posts are exactly what I was saying... we all agree on what we should be able to do with content we've legally purchased, but once we do that it's nearly impossible for them to stop us from doing other things with it.

I don't agree at all with them stopping us from copying things... it just doesn't seem there are any other solutions out there at this point either. So for now, the studios have to live with where we are and try to find people who are actually doing things illegally.

And these last few posts are exactly what I was saying... we all agree on what we should be able to do with content we've legally purchased, but once we do that it's nearly impossible for them to stop us from doing other things with it.

I don't agree at all with them stopping us from copying things... it just doesn't seem there are any other solutions out there at this point either. So for now, the studios have to live with where we are and try to find people who are actually doing things illegally.

yeah but the original premise behind the post was that they are trying to make it illegal to even copy it to your Ipod in the first place.

And that if we pull enough support maybe hit them in the wallet then they may back off of this legislation.

Ok one joke one got through my filters. (had a bunch from the Onion as well :D)

But you get my point. They really don't care who they sue. Only that the Body count is high.

I would surmise that their theory is that if they make enough examples out of people people will stop downloading.

And that means that if you accidentally share a file (this is possible especialy over unsecured wireless connections.) than you to will be sued.
One thing i see common in most of these is that its usually some person with an ailment or of an unusual age, they do this to make it seem outrageous. Even if (lets remember this is the internet where you are getting the info, people can post anything) these cases are true, who is to say that these people havent downloaded and distributed hundreds or thousands of songs? Most of them it doesnt say, the person sued just states that they are innocent. That isnt uncommon of anyone accused of a crime.

One thing i see common in most of these is that its usually some person with an ailment or of an unusual age, they do this to make it seem outrageous. Even if (lets remember this is the internet where you are getting the info, people can post anything) these cases are true, who is to say that these people havent downloaded and distributed hundreds or thousands of songs? Most of them it doesnt say, the person sued just states that they are innocent. That isnt uncommon of anyone accused of a crime.

So Guilty Until Proven innocent?:eek:

yeah but the original premise behind the post was that they are trying to make it illegal to even copy it to your Ipod in the first place.

And that if we pull enough support maybe hit them in the wallet then they may back off of this legislation.

Ah, but there's the crux of the issue. Are you going to stop buying anything electronic? No more hardware, no games, no movies, no music? Just to prove a point about fair use?

You can't just single out Sony and say you're boycotting them because plenty of other companies are just as deep in it, including Microsoft. If that's your argument against Sony, it lacks a little credibility, IMO.

If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I apologize.

Ah, but there's the crux of the issue. Are you going to stop buying anything electronic? No more hardware, no games, no movies, no music? Just to prove a point about fair use?

You can't just single out Sony and say you're boycotting them because plenty of other companies are just as deep in it, including Microsoft. If that's your argument against Sony, it lacks a little credibility, IMO.

If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I apologize.

No I am saying Sony BMG are at the front of this assault. and their lawyers are working to get it done.

Now MS has had DRM issues in the past. But they really left everyone alone. They even Hired Bunny the guy who cracked there original XBOX to help them secure the next one.

And modded xbox 360's do they go sue them? nah, just ban them from live so they don't interfere with legitimate players.

Now the Zune DRM is another subject, The 3x3 rules are confusing at best. But MS has under patents a way for music companies to make money on illegal music. Basically share the music if you want to keep it pay for it or it expires in 3 days.

Pretty slick.

But In general I blame the entire RIAA. Sony is a pet peeve of mine anyway and they are part of that empire as well. and are at the forefront of this assault.

But I digress, I am trying to keep it about the RIAA vs US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)