Another RSN question

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Last nights Red Sox / Tigers game wasrained out. This happens...
Today the Sox and Tigers r playing a day night double header. The original schedule was a 1:30 game. I wasn't home so I do not know if Dish broadcast it in HD.
My question has to do with game 2 which was un scheduled. It is not being shown in HD. When there are schedule changes why does Dish not know so they can turn on the HD? Or r they just not flexible enough?

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

First game was broadcast in HD. In this case it is NOT entirely the fault of Dish for the second game being in SD. NESN broadcast all day that it would not be broadcasting the second game. Then very late in the day they changed, and said ESPN gave them the rights to broadcast tonight's game. If Dish broadcast RSN's in HD 24hrs it might have been in HD, so in that regard it is partly the fault of Dish. But as it is, this was a last minute thing.

Last edited:
Just like today the Pirates Cubs game was delayed a few hours and we list the HD feed. This is why I support 24/7 RSN. Another reason is if they play after noon games sometimes Root sports will rebroadcast the game in the evening now if I didn't dvr the game I'd be stuck with the sd feed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Tampa8 said:
First game was broadcast in HD. In this case it is NOT entirely the fault of Dish for the second game being in SD. NESN broadcast all day that it would not be broadcasting the second game. Then very late in the day they changed, and said ESPN gave them the rights to broadcast tonight's game. If Dish broadcast RSN's in HD 24hrs it might have been in HD, so in that regard it is partly the fault of Dish. But as it is, this was a last minute thing.

Sounds reasonable, and had we been home I guess I would have known. Of course I don't understand why ESPN is in the mix. Last nights game was to have been broadcast on Fox, so I would have thought they would have the rights to the make up game...

Ross

ESPN has the rights to exclusivity from 7PM to the end Eastern Sunday nights. technically no other game can be shown during that time. Texas has an exemption due to the heat and they do have televised Sunday Night games

Fox has certain rights for afternoon MLB games on Saturdays, and ESPN has the same rights for night games on Sundays. Broadcasters cannot show games of in-market teams, regardless of whether the game is home or away, if the game of the local team has a certain start time (usually there are no other games scheduled at these times). This, at least theoretically, is to make people watch the out-of-market game on ESPN or Fox. The reasoning is that since people will not be able to watch their favorite team, they may be willing to settle for some baseball, even if it involves teams they are not as excited about. This results in higher ratings for the national broadcaster by pulling baseball fans away from watching their own team. The Texas Rangers have traditionally been allowed to play (and televise locally) Sunday night home games during the summer to avoid the extreme heat often found in their home market. Otherwise, teams avoid scheduling home games within the broadcast windows of the exclusive network broadcasts (i.e. teams will play at 1:00 Eastern or 7:00 local time on Saturdays).

I wrote a brief email to ESPN thanking them, they responded back already saying they felt it was a special circumstance, and for the sake of the fans they allowed it. NESN made a point of thanking ESPN on air.
Now if only FOX was as accommodating. In Ct. we are in the Boston sports DMA, and NY city sports DMA. (If dish carried the NY RSN's we would get five of them, three NY, two Boston. Charter Cable now carries all five) But on Saturdays, the CT fox channel has to make a decision to carry the Red Sox game or Yankees game. Which ever they carry, the other can not be broadcast by anyone in the DMA including NESN. WTIC the fox affiliate here can choose which one to carry, and they have offered to carry the other game on their other owned channel, WCCT, channel 20. Fox said no, so fans lose out. (I have overcome this by turning my OTA antenna to Springfield Mass,and can get their channels, ironically I can not get our own locals OTA with that antenna, I need to use a stronger one)

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:
I wrote a brief email to ESPN thanking them, they responded back already saying they felt it was a special circumstance, and for the sake of the fans they allowed it. NESN made a point of thanking ESPN on air.
Now if only FOX was as accommodating. In Ct. we are in the Boston sports DMA, and NY city sports DMA. (If dish carried the NY RSN's we would get five of them, three NY, two Boston. Charter Cable now carries all five) But on Saturdays, the CT fox channel has to make a decision to carry the Red Sox game or Yankees game. Which ever they carry, the other can not be broadcast by anyone in the DMA including NESN. WTIC the fox affiliate here can choose which one to carry, and they have offered to carry the other game on their other owned channel, WCCT, channel 20. Fox said no, so fans lose out.

I had heard about those issues in CT, however I thought it just affected the New Haven area as folks there identify more with new york than New England...no offense to New Haven residents...

Ross

I had mentioned to my buddy that I heard from here that a few rsn's were going to be added around June 15th thus maybe games would be in hd all the time, is this this a possibility my buddy would appreciate this! If this was the case

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts