Another Superbowl without HD

birkoff

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Another year has gone by and I don't see how I'm going to
see the Superbowl in HD unless I move to the city.

Not long after I got Dish I got the cancelation letter, those
national channels weren't for certain people after all, mostly
those in red states located in "white" areas.

Great technology out there, but Congress & FCC & Broadcasters
can't have too much entertainment going on. There's a sacred
relationship between broadcasters and congress, and the FCC is
their butt-boy. Have I mentioned the TV broadcasters
got a ton of digital spectrum for FREE.

Y'know that SD picture isn't that bad, but it does boggle the mind.
I'd buy just as many Yoohoos advertised on HD as I would
watching the game on SD, I promise.

Birkoff

birkoff said:
Another year has gone by and I don't see how I'm going to
see the Superbowl in HD unless I move to the city.

Not long after I got Dish I got the cancelation letter, those
national channels weren't for certain people after all, mostly
those in red states located in "white" areas.

Great technology out there, but Congress & FCC & Broadcasters
can't have too much entertainment going on. There's a sacred
relationship between broadcasters and congress, and the FCC is
their butt-boy. Have I mentioned the TV broadcasters
got a ton of digital spectrum for FREE.

Y'know that SD picture isn't that bad, but it does boggle the mind.
I'd buy just as many Yoohoos advertised on HD as I would
watching the game on SD, I promise.

Birkoff

The DTV transition was started by the FCC in 1997. Now, almost 9 years later, only a few markets have HD LiL via satellite. It's not like the DBS companies were blind-sided by HD. Yet, you choose to blame Congress & FCC & Broadcasters for the lack of HD via satellite and not the satellite companies themselves.

Tower Guy said:
The DTV transition was started by the FCC in 1997. Now, almost 9 years later, only a few markets have HD LiL via satellite. It's not like the DBS companies were blind-sided by HD. Yet, you choose to blame Congress & FCC & Broadcasters for the lack of HD via satellite and not the satellite companies themselves.

It is Congress and the FCCs fault there isn't more HD on satellite. Had the meger gone through there would be 96 conus Ku transpondes to use. Instead Echostar controls 50 and DirecTV 46. The resources that could have been put to use in delivering hd right away were instead consumed by spot wing satellites, adding wing slots (Echostar), and developing the Ka band (DirecTV).

Also it is Congress's and the FCC's fault that both D* and E* cannot provide national HD network feeds to everyone.

How many people would sign up for East and West national network HD channels for $5 or even $10/month? Wouldn't even have to compress them because this would eat up so few transponders. Broadcast them in their native HD resolutions and with 16-19 mbs of bandwidth. Even a chance that our bills would be lower than they are now, because of the decreased cost for both D* and E* on satellites.

Last edited:
I'm going to do the same thing I did last year. Go over to my friends house who has D* and watch it in HD there while listening to him rub it in that he has it and I don't. I guess I can take with me a picutre of my 622 that I have on order and might actually get one day! :)

Tom Bombadil said:
Also it is Congress's and the FCC's fault that both D* and E* cannot provide national HD network feeds to everyone.

How many people would sign up for East and West national network HD channels for $5 or even $10/month? Wouldn't even have to compress them because this would eat up so few transponders. Broadcast them in their native HD resolutions and with 16-19 mbs of bandwidth. Even a chance that our bills would be lower than they are now, because of the decreased cost for both D* and E* on satellites.

In my situation I would prefer DNS for all of my locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)