Antenna Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

steve617

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
What is your zip code? That is a UHF only antenna and also very directional. So far, based on what you posted, this does not seem to be the correct antenna for your needs.

I went to antenna web.org I am located behind a hill.

I read earlier after I posted that this is just a UHF antenna. According to antennaweb I am just about 12 miles from the antennas. There is just a hill inbetween us.

On another note I bought a GE 22 DB booster and just hooked it up and I can get all channels VHF and UHF with my current antenna in 1 position plus an additional UHF channel. Plus it is also cloudy. I was leary about paying $37 for a antenna booster made by GE however if it does not do the job I will take it back. So far so good.

I went to antenna web.org I am located behind a hill.

I read earlier after I posted that this is just a UHF antenna. According to antennaweb I am just about 12 miles from the antennas. There is just a hill inbetween us.

On another note I bought a GE 22 DB booster and just hooked it up and I can get all channels VHF and UHF with my current antenna in 1 position plus an additional UHF channel. Plus it is also cloudy. I was leary about paying $37 for a antenna booster made by GE however if it does not do the job I will take it back. So far so good.

The way I see it you have a couple of different problems. First of all you have signals coming in three different directions. Two different directions if you don't care about the independent WLFG on channel 49. The second thing I see is that after the transition in 2009 you will have two channels (WCYB ch.5 and WJHL ch.11) will be moving to VHF. And the third problem is "the hill". You have a challenging task ahead of you.

Here is what I would do. Use the UHF only antenna and point it at WEMT your FOX affiliate. That channel is coming in from a different direction from the rest and will stay on UHF post transition. Get another antenna that will do VHF/UHF and point it at the rest. Keep in mind that you will have a channel on VHF low (ch. 5) so you cannot take advantage of the smaller VHF-Hi/UHF antennas. Something like a Winegard HD-7010 should work nicely. Combine the signals from the two antennas and send it down one coax. Get both antennas as high as possible. Especially one pointing at "the hill".

Let us know how it works out for you.

See attached pictures pre and post transition from tvfool.com for your zip.

Attachments

• Zip37686Now.png
    Zip37686Now.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Zip37686post transition.png
    Zip37686post transition.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 140
When recieveing my locals with OTR Two channels I can get great when its clear and the other two always comes and goes. Here is a link to what I am currently using its on a 20 foot pole.

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Outdoor: 40" Boom Length, 17 Elements Outdoor Antenna for UHF-Only

I have 2 local VHF channels 5,11 and 2 UHF 10,39. Thanks for the advice on a better HDTV antenna

Use your existing antenna and point it toward holston mountain. ABC 19(uhf 27), NBC 5(uhf 28), & CBS 11(uhf 58) are all located there. I would then use a second antenna something like the channel master 4228 or you might be able to get by with something smaller and point it toward Greeneville. This will get you FOX 39(uhf 38). Keep in mind all of our locals are broadcast in uhf. I was told this is the way it is going to stay even after 2/09. With a second antenna it is a good possibility you can pick up a pbs station also in addition to fox.

Since I bought the booster. I can point to holston and get all 4 major networks. I could always get 3 pointing to holston except sometimes I would loose them during bad weather. With the signal booster I can even get 39 while I am pointing toward holston. All the signals is high 70's to mid 80's and that is in very cloudy skys.

Use your existing antenna and point it toward holston mountain. ABC 19(uhf 27), NBC 5(uhf 28), & CBS 11(uhf 58) are all located there. I would then use a second antenna something like the channel master 4228 or you might be able to get by with something smaller and point it toward Greeneville. This will get you FOX 39(uhf 38). Keep in mind all of our locals are broadcast in uhf. I was told this is the way it is going to stay even after 2/09. With a second antenna it is a good possibility you can pick up a pbs station also in addition to fox.

According to tvfool.com NBC 5 and CBS 11 will be VHF after 2/09. So far they have been pretty accurate. They get their data directly from the FCC database.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts