Antenna damaged or disconnected message

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
It's been rainy and very misty today here in the Rochester NY area. Today I started getting a message on the screen of my Onyx radio. It said the above, the I would get reception for a few minutes, then the same message. Is it due to the weather or something else. I think I have an old Sirius radio inside the house. Will that work or should I order a new SiriusXM antenna

It could be many things. I have found weather can make a difference. An area of too many trees, buildings, etc. Maybe the radio. I say that since my very old radio recently died and I replaced it with an Onyx. I sure do not agree with the old statement of, "They don't make things like they used to, they make them better." Well, not with my Onyx radio. Many areas now drop out when the old radio never did. Every, lets say five or six months, I would get an antenna error message. I found that removal of the antenna connection to the holder or the radio and reconnecting would fix the problem. I have run three diferent radios on different antennas so it should/could work as long as the connections are the same. Give it a try.....

I totally agree about the Onyx. I don't keep up with PNP receivers like a used to so I don't now if the ones they sell today are different versions from a few years ago or not, but I had one for a little over a week and returned it. A few years ago my wife and I went to the Spring NASCAR races in both Dover and Pocono in one trip. It was a spur of the moment thing and I let a friend of mine borrow my trusty Roady XT that normally was used in my car a few days prior. So the Friday before the Saturday morning that we left for Dover I went to Best Buy and bought the best Plug and Play receiver they had and it was the Onyx.

Besides it's insanely weak FM modulator, which I expected and slow channel changing, I had a ton of dropouts along I476 and I95 among other places. The dropouts on 95 heading from Dover to Pocono were worse then when I was heading to Dover. I was using the antenna that I was using for the Roady XT, but I had the packaging from the Onyx in the car, so one night in the hotel parking lot I swapped antennas hoping that would make a difference but it didn't. I ended up returning the Onxy at a Best Buy on the way back from the trip and just listened to music from my phone the rest of the way home. I've been to both of those tracks many times before with my Roady XT and never had an issue. I haven't been back since, but I will be at the Fall Dover race this year for the first time with a vehicle with built in satellite.

The Onyx even felt cheaply made. Throughout the years, up until the merger, I owned just about every PNP receiver in the XM SkyFi and Roady lines and every Sirius receiver in the Sportster and Starmate lines, aside from the display of the Onyx, I fail to see how it's better than any of those old product lines. I couldn't wait to get the old Roady XT back. Not to totally toot the horn of the old Roady, not sure if it's because that was XM and now with it being built into my new ride I'm using the Sirius satellites or what. But last month when I went to the Blue Ridge Mountains I took partially the same route that I took to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA a while back and I had a bunch of short droupouts on US 219, This time reception was perfect.

I would try a different antenna. And then I would consider something other then the Onyx, if there's even anything. I am so glad we don't have plug and play receivers at all anymore. My wife loved whatever version of the Sportster she had in her '06 Zephyr for years. Once I got my new [to me] '13 Navigator with Sirius XM built it she found it hard to go back to using a plug and play in her car, so at the end of last year when she got the Expedition, even though [at the time] she didn't care about the navigation features she just had to have the touch screen for SXM.

I've had the Onyx for close to 2 years. I'm happy with it. The RAV has an AUX input, so I don't use the FM modulation. I get the occasional drop ut if there is a dense stand of trees or anything else that obstructs line of site. I like the remote for changing channels.

The remote is the only thing I thought I'd miss about having not having a PNP receiver, but with voice commands it's not as big as a loss as I initially thought My old '06 Navigator did not have Sirius built in nor did it have an aux in so that's why I needed a PNP unit with a built in FM modulator. With the Zephyr I was able to wire up an adapter and give it an Aux in, the Navi used a different radio and it was a pain to take a part so I never bothered. Being in between Buffalo and Rochester, and not that far from Canada, on a clear night I could pick up a real FM radio station on almost every available FM frequency. So with the Roady XT and it's powerful 'illegal' FM modulator I was able to over power existing radio stations pretty good that had weak reception in my area. When I got my baggie of ferrite cores in the mail that the FCC made XM send out to subscribers I immediately tossed them in the garbage.

If you like the Onyx, I guess that's all that matters and it looks like that's all they offer these days. Which is pretty sad. I'll probably wind up with some version of it when I decide to replace my A/V Receiver at home, as it looks like the latest Sony ES A/V Receivers no longer have built in satellite radio tuners.

I've had the Onyx for close to 2 years. I'm happy with it. The RAV has an AUX input, so I don't use the FM modulation. I get the occasional drop ut if there is a dense stand of trees or anything else that obstructs line of site. I like the remote for changing channels.

Reactions: Randamin
Yesterday I replaced the small square antenna that came with the Onyx with the round one that I had from my original Stratus radio. I'll see if that makes a difference. Hope it isn't the radio itself.
I'm n the eastern side of Rochester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts