Antenna failure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gyetter

Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
I've been using a Terk antenna with the Jensen Sirius hardware in my car. Recently I've lost reception. The Sirius help desk says I need a new antenna. Is that possible? Do these things go bad? Thanks for any info. -- gy

I would say that the antenna connection may have gone bad or broken. How old is your Jensen? Are you getting any text at all on the Jensen, if so, what does it read?

More antenna failure details

Sirius_Rich said:
I would say that the antenna connection may have gone bad or broken. How old is your Jensen? Are you getting any text at all on the Jensen, if so, what does it read?

The Jensen has been in use for nearly two years. Likewise the Terk antenna. In two years the car has been driven through extreme weather variations between New England and Florida, and I'm sure it just bakes in the Florida sun then it freezes in the New England winter. It would be no surprise to me if the antenna is simply fried, although I would also hope that Terk is engineering these things to survive extreme conditions. For the past few weeks I have been driving around Manhattan and southern New England. Every once in a while I'll get the signal, but those are brief moments and the unit soon goes dead. Most of the time the handset indicates the system is, "Acquiring signal," or some such.

What do you mean "the antenna connection may have gone bad or broken"? I've checked the connections and they seem okay, which I guess is also indicated by the intermittent signal. I installed the hardware myself and so I know where the connections are made. I've had no problems until just recently and so there should be no question that my installation was good. Thanks for your reply. Have you had other reports of Terk SR20S failure over time?

Gene Yetter

No, I have not heard of the Terk antenna failing before. I have heard of the antenna connections going bad from use. They are fragil and cannot stand a lot of plugging in and and out (pulling on the antenna cable instead of the connector).

Try posting your problem HERE , there are several more knowledgeable people there. Please come back and tell us what you found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)