Antenna Help! Signals in opposite direction

bfellner

Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Hello,

I want to put up an antenna to get my local channels in HD since Dish will be a long time in getting them for my area. I called a local antenna place and kinda got the run around from them. They ended up telling me the solution I needed to get all the channels in HD at the same time (no rotating antenna) would cost me $700! Not counting labor! So... Here are my questions. I hope someone can help me.

Channels I want to get (antennaweb.org):
Zip: 62535
* yellow vhf WILL-DT 12.1 PBS URBANA, IL 66° 17.8 9
* yellow uhf WBUI-DT 23.1 CW DECATUR, IL 76° 5.8 22
* yellow uhf WAND-DT 17.1 NBC DECATUR, IL 78° 7.7 18
* yellow uhf WRSP-DT 55.1 FOX SPRINGFIELD, IL 253° 26.6 44
yellow uhf WICS 20 ABC SPRINGFIELD, IL 254° 27.2 20
red uhf WCFN 49 MNT SPRINGFIELD, IL 254° 30.2 49
blue uhf WICD 15 ABC SPRINGFIELD, IL 81° 57.0 15
* blue uhf WCIA-DT 3.1 CBS CHAMPAIGN, IL 67° 30.3 48

Here are my questions...
1. Is there a single antenna that I can get to mount in my attic, which would be the 3rd story and is rather open, to get the signals?
2. Failing 1, is it possible to get two antennas pointing in opposite directions then combine them to a single coax to the DVR so it gets all channels?
3. Failing 1 & 2, a single antenna to be mounted outside?

Thanks for any help!

1. Is there a single antenna that I can get to mount in my attic, which would be the 3rd story and is rather open, to get the signals?
2. Failing 1, is it possible to get two antennas pointing in opposite directions then combine them to a single coax to the DVR so it gets all channels?

Answer #1; No. The combination of attic losses and signals from multiple directions make this extremely unlikely.

Answer #2; Yes. This is more likely to work, but it's complicated. You'll need a VHF/UHF antenna aimed at 72 degrees and a UHF only aimed at 254 degrees. If you are lucky, you can combine them using a splitter backwards. If the splitter doesn't work, a multiple Jointenna configuration for your situation can be used to add all but channel 20, but could work for ABC on 15. Which channel actually has ABC?

Answer #3; Probably not with a single antenna. But a 4 bay UHF stacked 3' above a VHF/UHF combo wouldn't be too unwieldy.

A starting point for two antennas would be a Winegard HD7696P for 72 degrees and a Channel Master 4221 or Winegard HD4400 for 254.

Something sounds fishy. I've heard of installs for about $400, total. Maybe a bit more if they were going to get fancy with two antennas. $700 plus labor?

This may be more helpful than antennaweb. The channels shown are the final channels for February, 2009.

Attachments

• 62535.PNG
    62535.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 700
Hello,

I want to put up an antenna to get my local channels in HD since Dish will be a long time in getting them for my area. I called a local antenna place and kinda got the run around from them. They ended up telling me the solution I needed to get all the channels in HD at the same time (no rotating antenna) would cost me $700! Not counting labor! So... Here are my questions. I hope someone can help me.

Channels I want to get (antennaweb.org):
Zip: 62535
* yellow vhf WILL-DT 12.1 PBS URBANA, IL 66° 17.8 9
* yellow uhf WBUI-DT 23.1 CW DECATUR, IL 76° 5.8 22
* yellow uhf WAND-DT 17.1 NBC DECATUR, IL 78° 7.7 18
* yellow uhf WRSP-DT 55.1 FOX SPRINGFIELD, IL 253° 26.6 44
yellow uhf WICS 20 ABC SPRINGFIELD, IL 254° 27.2 20
red uhf WCFN 49 MNT SPRINGFIELD, IL 254° 30.2 49
blue uhf WICD 15 ABC SPRINGFIELD, IL 81° 57.0 15
* blue uhf WCIA-DT 3.1 CBS CHAMPAIGN, IL 67° 30.3 48

Here are my questions...

Thanks for any help!

something smells fishy on the price you got there.

OK Judging from experince of living in Lincoln for a school year, I lived in a 2nd floor dormroom, using just a plain RCA indoor antenna, and picked up everything in the region, including WCIA. judgeging by your location I'd guess your in either in Warrensburg or just west of decatur. I would first just try an indoor antenna from wal-mart, cause if that works then you won't need to mount it in the attic, but with you being a 3rd floor attic, I'd say it should work well if you need to go that route.

With the exception of 28, 51, 50 and 32, all your channels are in one direction or 180deg from that direction. And with the exception of channel 9, they are all UHF. For all but the exceptions listed, a bow tie antenna with the reflector taken off (or a home made one) should pick up all the channels in one direction and also 180degrees from that direction as well at the same time. Try a home made one to check your signal reception. Check this thread for a few designs to try.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/132709-cm4228-trees.html

Get a small outdoor antenna and point it at Springfield. You are probably close enough to the other stations to get them off the side of the antenna. Give it a shot.

You could get a CM4228 or a CM4221 and remove the reflector screen.

If you are fairly close (<10 miles) a UHF antenna will still get enough VHF signal for viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)