Antenna in DFW - What's going on?

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
Here's my situation (2 questions):

1) I have an attic antenna in Grapevine, Texas (zip 76051). I don't know what brand or model it is and it's awkward to get to. I have a DirecTV HR10-250 receiver.

The HD channels of interest to me are 4-1, 5-1, 8-1, 11-1 and 13-1.

4-1 is on frequency 35 FOX
5-1 is on frequency 41 NBC
8-1 is on frequency 9 ABC
11-1 is on frequency 19 CBS
13-1 is on frequency 14 PBS

I got the above info from the antennaweb site, which also told me that all of these stations are pretty much at the same compass bearing (156 degrees) and between 20-30 miles distant.

The only 2 frequencies that I can pick up are 9 (ABC) and 51 (channel 52-1).

My first question is how can I only be picking up one station, when all of them are approx. the same distance and compass bearing?

2) Again according to antennaweb again, I need a yellow-coded antenna for 3 of the frequencies and a red-coded antenna for 2 of them.

If I need to purchase another antenna to get all these frequencies, what should I get? A specific brand and model number would be great!!

I appreciate being able to draw on the experience and knowledge of those in this forum and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much.

Were you able to pick up local channels with it before you connected the HR10? Have you connected the antenna coax to your TV and scanned for channels? I have learned that Digital TV is more sensitive to factors such as trees and buildings between you and the broadcast towers. If I remember correctly, the towers are west of Grand Prairie. You may have to get to the antenna and aim the unit towards there. Also, it is possible the antenna is designed to receive only VHF frequencies which typically don't include the digital channels which are UHF. If that is the case, hit Fry's and pick up a channel master 4221 UHF antenna. It looks like 4 bow ties stacked vertically and runs about $30. That should do the trick it you need another antenna.

There's lots of DFW antenna experience around on this forum and also on the DFW local reception forum which you can find here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

The stations all use different transmitter power so if you have a poor antenna setup you will get some stations and not others. However since you are getting so few stations you either have the wrong antenna or it is pointed incorrectly. Since you get WFAA which is in the hi-VHF band Miner is probably correct, you may have a VHF-only antenna, and almost all the DFW digital stations are UHF.

The DFW "antenna of choice" is the CM4228, particularly in an attic - great UHF antenna, good performance on hi-VHF also. If you want a single antenna solution that's probably the best choice although there are others. The CM4221 is good on UHF but does not perform well on hi-VHF so it's not a good WFAA solution.

I suggest you chack your antenna pointing and make sure it is pointed at Cedar Hill. If it is then you need a better antenna, if you have the headroom in your attic for it (it's basically a 4ft high flat panel) use the CM4228 (you may have to mailorder, solidsignal.com or warren electronics, although occasionally Fry's have them in stock)).. If you have a shallow attic but lots of horizontal space you can use a good combo VHF/UHF antenna but remember these are up to 10 feet long so you need good "turning space".

Well, I finally decided to purchase the CM4228 from Warren Electronics. It was available at one or two of the other sites that you mentioned, but the combination of base price plus shipping was lowest at Warren.

After placing my order, I was a little disconcerted that I did not receive any sort of confirmatory email about my order. But I called them the next day and they confirmed that they had received my order. They said that they did not have the antenna in stock at that time, bur were expecting more on Wednesday (tomorrow).

The guy also said that delivery would take about 3 days.

I hope that this all works out.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Same experiences I have had with them which is why I stopped recommend them, or advise people to call them before ordering. Good luck, you should be happy with it.

jammy,

According to antennaweb, I'm 45 miles away.... I've got a generic 12 ft in my antenna and I pickup every digital station in dallas, including several not listed in antenna web. You should be able to pick them all up at your location.

Thank you teamerickson and all of the other respondents to my query.

I actually received my antenna from Warren Electronics.

But I will definitely keep Crutchfield in mind for future purchases.

Thanks.

Jammy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts