Antenna input for HD OTA

dkjos

Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
I'm going to put the HD tuner module (8VSB) into my 6000 receiver in oder to get a local CBS OTA HD signal. I'm wondering how exactly the input line must be arranged. Do I need to arrange an antenna like the type that affixes to the top of a dish and sends it's signal through the dish cable to the receiver? If the signal strength is sufficient, can I have an indoor antenna that inputs to the 6000 through the antenna input? Will both of these methods properly process an HD signal?

The only way I know to answer your question is to tell you to try it. If you have enough digital signal you will get a picture if you don't you won't. Just like with satellite digital is either there or it isn't. How far are you from the broadcaster are you? How strong a signal is the broadcaster sending out? How well can you aim the antenna at the broadcasters tower? How good an antenna are you using(your choices are very poor in your question)?

You need a UHF/VHF antenna and hook it directly to the ant. in connectuion on the back of the 6000. The sat in connection is where the ouside sat is connected. The type of antenna can be rabbit ears to a 100 element outdoor antenna, whatever is needed to get an OTA signal in your area.

I would have thought

I initially assumed that I would be coming through the antenna in of the 6000. When I went to Radio Shack to purchase an antenna, I was inclined toward one that is attached to the top of a dish. It appeared, and the person at Radio Shack said, that you actually tap this thing into the line coming from the dish. This is what made me think that maybe I needed to be coming in through the satellite in line to the receiver.

Re: I would have thought

dkjos said:
I... It appeared, and the person at Radio Shack said, that you actually tap this thing into the line coming from the dish. This is what made me think that maybe I needed to be coming in through the satellite in line to the receiver.

What is being assumed is that you're using a diplexor. These devices (you MUST have 2 of them) combine OTA and Sat. signals onto a single cable and then separate them out again at your receivers (in a fashion similar to having voice and DSL signals on the same copper pair of wires from the phone company).

You should go to anntennaweb.org and fill in your info and it will tell you the type of antenna you need based on your location and where the locals are located. I have tried the TERK clip on antennas and they do not work well. I use a $49 RadioShack UHF/VHF antenna in my attic and get good signals from digital stations 50 miles away.

If you only need one station, it is probably on UHF and you can get a $19 UHF antenna for your attic. I would recommend a larger antenna like the $49 one - you'll be amazed what it pulls in.

I would also try rabbit ears - I use them on a PC HDTV receiver and I get most stations 20 miles away from me, but they are in and out sometimes.

The 8VSB does an excellent job tuning stations on a 6000 receiver.

Good luck,
lc

OTA antenna

I am currently waiting for the install of D*, hopefully this week. Sick of poor cable in our area, and I got a couple of HD monitors too. In the meantime I got a RS 75 antenna and mounted it in the rafters of the garage, and am easily able to pick up digital broadcasts from 60 miles away with a solid 100 signal on my Hughes E86. For our other television where we really do not care about VHF stuff I got a Silver Sensor and even with it literally sitting on top of the set in a room that is halfway below ground level I still get 75-80 signal on the same station that far away. Now I am just waiting for the install, especially after seeing MNF in HD!

Check out www.antennaweb.org for what kind of antenna you need and what channels are available in your area.

Antenna types

Does anyone have an opinion on the performance of amplifide antennas vs the typical passive ones? Is the antenna port for a 6000 receiver located on the 8VSB module? Is it a coaxial type?

Re: Antenna types

dkjos said:
Is the antenna port for a 6000 receiver located on the 8VSB module? Is it a coaxial type?

Yes.

dkjos,

I used the Radio Shack antenna (UHF/VHF). I have been very satisfied with it. I live in the bronx and I have been able to get channels from brigedport C.T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)