Antenna, multiswitch and reciever compatibility

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlorton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
MO
This is going to sound elementary to many so please bear with me!

Back in 05 I bought a HD TV so I thought I'd upgrade to the new HD service provided by DirecTV. Since I prefer to own my own gear I bought an antenna, Channel Master DirecTV antenna triple LNB bundled with a Terk BMS-58 multiswitch. I Also bought a H10 reciever. I installed it all and everything worked fine. The HD service at that time didn't fit my needs so I cancelled it and am now running the whole thing in SD. Five years later the Terk started to give symptoms of rain fade and I started getting "searching for satellite" messages on the blank screen. A check of the signals to the reciever showed all were in the very high 80s or low 90s. I by passed the Terk with diplexers and got good results so I assumed the Terk was bad. I replaced the Terk with a Perfect vision 5x8 in June of 2010.
In March of 2011 the same thing happened again so I replaced the Perfect vision with a Eagle Aspen 5x8 switch. The same thing is now happening again so I called the company that sold everything I have so far and they agreed very graciously to take it back and refund the money because it's not the right switch for the antenna etc.

This is where it gets fuzzy. According to the vendor I need a new antenna and multiswitch to to get reliable DTV and use the multiswitch as an OTR antenna amplifier/diplex combiner. I could get the DTV part running with a Zinwell WB68 switch, which is listed as being compatable, but it has no provision for an OTA antenna which I need.
I have an H-20-600 and an old Hughes HIRD-D4 running on the system now. I assume the H-20 will work with the new AU9S antenna and slim 8 multiswitch the vendor says I need. How about the old HIRD-D4?
The prospect of spending several hundred dollard to upgrade the antenna system is unpalatable but I'll do it to get a reliable compatible system that does what I need it to and I'm not at all upset with the vendor i have been buying from, I just want to fish around for second opinions.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Ron

Why not call Directv and have them do the upgrade. It may all be free. It doesn't hurt to call!

Chip thanks for the suggestion, I called them and the response was that they'd come out and do it and then decide if I'd have to pay!! What I've now done is to diplex the output from the antenna with the amplified output from the OTA antenna and everything is now working to my satisfaction. The amplifier was only $40 including next day shipping. The lash up I use is only good for SD programming but since I'm in a motorhome most of the time and don't have HD service in it and the cabin has an OTA antenna to get locals in HD I don't see spending the money for it. I thought about simply starting and stopping the service when we leave the cabin but DTV was a bit leery of that, they wanted to discontinue all service. I'll just continue with what I have, it works for me!!
Ron

Whatever works best is the way to go. FYI, you can suspend your service up to six months at a time, once a year, IIRC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)