Antenna not detected/No signal

bigdude469

Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I see a lot of posts about "NO ANTENNA DETECTED". I have yet to find a fix I have 5 units that all went bad with this exact issue. They are all the older Sirius units different brands ect. I wish I could figure out if it is a particular chip or whatever so that I could make 1 or 2 good units if possible. I know its not the antenna as I have many different ones to choose from and they work on my newer units. The Most I can find is that it is possibly a cold solder joint. I got that from something I read that said when he twisted the unit it detected the antenna, but when let go it quit detecting it. I am assuming that the contact is connected when twisted and not when released. What section of the board needs attention? Most people send them in for warranty and call it good but when out of warranty what should you do? The antenna usually gets blamed but I know for a fact it is not that. Any one else?

Last edited:
I am on my third sportster 4. My first two had the same issue. It is for sure the units and not the antennas. When I returned the two other ones I just swapped out the unit itself and used the same antenna. The fist two lasted about 2 months each. My current one has been good for close to a year now. I have heard the same about the antenna connection on the unit itself.

No antenna detected FIX

1. Hello boys! problem solved! …the problem lies between the small round,brass connector underneath the sat. radio and the dock itself. I have tried using contact cleaner spray and even gently spreading apart the “fins” on this brass inferior connection to with very limited results..the best solution i found(and nicest) is to use a cell phone holder arm (similar to the SKYDOCK arm they sell) This “floats” the entire dock and radio giving a shock absorber benefit and more importantly SQUEEZES the two units into a more reliable contact point. I travel for a living and have jerked around with this problem through many states and miles,and found this to work. Since i have made this modification the radio works 100% with no “ANTENNA NOT DETECTED” readings. Also with this cell phone arm (i bought @ Verizon store for $20 ) you can move the entire unit in any position keeping it out of the way of drinks,ect..also i find the unit is too bright while driving long distance at night (even on dimmest setting) so i can position the unit away enough as not to blind me..I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FIX. It is a shame this brass connection point wears out so easy. I wish they made a more robust,even hard wired dock. I should mention I pop my Starmate 5 in and out of my truck alot. I use the boombox @ home and also a home dock kit..so the more you remove it from its docks,the sooner you will have this loose antenna problem. BET YOU THIS WILL WORK !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)