Antenna Placement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bpasker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
I just got sirius, bought it used and got the adiovo9x with the boombox and car adaptor. Works great in the car but I'm trying to set up the boombox in my office and I'm having trouble acquiring signal. I think I'm lucky in that I have a window seat and have located the antenna near the window, however I'm in Iowa so the quide told me to place the antenna facing up and I'm constantly aquiring signal.

Do you guys have any hints or suggestions on what I can do to eliminate this problem?

I agree, keep trying different positions while looking at the "Antenna Aiming" screen on the PNP. Try all positions, I have read where one poster recevied the best signal with the antenna upside down while another used a pie pan as a background and still another using the magnetic car antenna on a filing cabinet.

I have XM and there were strong warnings about NOT placing the antenna in the passenger compartment of the car. Didn't say why though so I put mine on the dash next to the windshield (I have a convertible) and it works pretty well. I'm not fried yet so I'm not sure what that warning was all about.

wysocki said:
I have XM and there were strong warnings about NOT placing the antenna in the passenger compartment of the car. Didn't say why though so I put mine on the dash next to the windshield (I have a convertible) and it works pretty well. I'm not fried yet so I'm not sure what that warning was all about.

Well, if you have your antenna on the dash and you are driving north, the metal of the roof will obstruct the signal to the south. You'll create a signal shadow until you turn to an angle that the antenna can catch one of the signals again.

I tried dash and inside the plastic third tail light housing when I first got mine and there were drops just from bad angles. Keep the antenna high and free of obstructions and then the only time you'll get drop-outs are when you encounter things you can't control like tall buildings where repeaters aren't available, bridges, overpasses, etc.

And, the other reason is the same reason Garmin gives you with every GPS, don't put it on the dash because it becomes a flying object during a collision. They always stick that in for liability purposes.

For SIRIUS, many have to put the antenna on the roof to get a clear view of the sky. It is after all Satellite Radio, so if the antenna can't see the satellite...

I have my Orbiter boombox antenna face up on a reflector I made, get 3 bars out of 3 vs. 1-2 I was getting before. And, at work I have it facing north in the middle of a reflector I made through a concrete wall....works 98% of the time with minor drops for a second or so. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)