Antenna placement

aj1964

Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
They are installing my Dish at home as I type (I'm at work, wifes home). I wanted it mounted to the chimney, it's all brick. Guy told my wife it's not a good location, wind storms could mess with it. This true? I'm thinking he just wanted to use the mount from our former DirTv.

If clear line of sight is not an issue, the chimney is a great place to mount it. Most chimneys are plumb, so the dish will be plumb. It takes longer to mount it there because you have to drill into the brick or cement and use anchors. To mount it into wood, all you need is a screw gun and a screw. You don't have to pre drill the holes.

twillers said:
If clear line of sight is not an issue, the chimney is a great place to mount it. Most chimneys are plumb, so the dish will be plumb. It takes longer to mount it there because you have to drill into the brick or cement and use anchors. To mount it into wood, all you need is a screw gun and a screw. You don't have to pre drill the holes.

Line of sight definately not an issue. He just wanted to cut the install time as I thought....

I think the concern with brick chimney mounts and dishes is cyclical fatique of the mortar due to wind loads, etc. On day one, the chimney is plenty strong, but after some time, problems could emerge. Recommend you do a broader search for this potential issue, as it may be specific to the type of mount used, etc.

The only way we mount to a chimney is if we have a mounting strap set to mount to.. because of the mortar fatigue and associated with windload.

That's the same policy we have as far as dish placement. Another thing to consider...wind strength. Generally speaking, the higher up on the side of a house you go, the more wind you will experience with a dish. That is probably why pole-mounted dishes do much better as far as aim than side or roofmounts

bcshields said:
The only way we mount to a chimney is if we have a mounting strap set to mount to.. because of the mortar fatigue and associated with windload.
If you have a sound chimney, and you drill into the brick, then insert plastic or lead anchors to screw the mount into, there should be no problem. It's the same way a wrought iron fence is attached to the brick siding of a house, and this is considered standard practice. Under normal conditions people sit and lean on them all day long, and that amounts to a lot of weight at any given time. If the chimney is in good sound condition it will stay that way for a long time. I mounted mine this way 6 years ago. It's as sound as the day I installed it.
Granted it takes longer to to but it looks a lot nicer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)