antenna question

llzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
St Louis
My digital channels are at 180 degrees. Rather then paying for an expensive 360 degree antenna, could I parallel 2 cheap UHF antennas using a splitter? One aiming south and one aiming north? My DT channels are only 2-11 miles away.

MAny UHF antennas get reasonable reception off the back especailly whena screen is removed. What channels are you trying to receive and with what antenna? perhaps if you gave us location information it would help.

Combining antennas is not particularly reccomended unless you are doing it to increase reception (identical antennas pointed in same direct with equal cable lengths between them), or if your signal is very strong.

63123, my HD towers are within 2-5 miles of my house and all around me. north, south and west of my house. I believe I can cover them with one antenna pointing SW and one pointing NE. would 2 antennas and a splitter work? I'm using a rat shack UHF antennas

Radio Shack had an amplified 22 inch round UFO shape antenna that picked up UHF signals from all directions at once. I had one at one time and it worked well, paid $99 for it about 15 years ago.

27404661.jpg

Will look and see if anyone still makes this item.

Matt

Edit : Found a link to buy one for $79

Google Image Result for http://images.shopping.msn.com/img/2532/29/3/27404661.jpg

llzel, Your so close to all of your local digital TV stations a single bow-tie indoor antenna mounted on a 2 in x 2 in x 4 foot wooden stake or plastic pipe (no metal) using lots of plastic ties outside high would work. You might not even need to turn it to tune it. If you try that and want to cut back some of the twin lead wire leave about 1.5 - 2 feet before connecting a 300 to 75 ohm transformer.

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Indoor: UHF Outline Bow-Tie Antenna < link

Last edited:
72% should be more than enough to get signal lock. try something more suite for close in reception (that is a fringe antenna you are using) and see what you get. I have a CM 4221 and i get several channels that are about 180 degrees off silply because I am so close---as you seem to be. In fact I ge t channels that neighbors with larger antennas cannot.

Last edited:
Yes 72 should lock but I do get pixlation now and then using the Dish Vip722 tuner

Thanks Roashru, they are in my attic. I aimed using the guide I found on the net showing where all my stations are. I fine tuned as close as I can get them.
I aimed one antenna SW where 2 of my stations are then should I connect with flat cable to the other antenna aiming NE then install the flat to RG adapter on the NE antenna with the RG6 down lead? Now they are connected with RG to a splitter

I think 72 is as high as I'm going to get. weird though the tower is 3.5 miles away

Yes 72 should lock but I do get pixlation now and then using the Dish Vip722 tuner

Thanks Roashru, they are in my attic. I aimed using the guide I found on the net showing where all my stations are. I fine tuned as close as I can get them.
I aimed one antenna SW where 2 of my stations are then should I connect with flat cable to the other antenna aiming NE then install the flat to RG adapter on the NE antenna with the RG6 down lead? Now they are connected with RG to a splitter

I think 72 is as high as I'm going to get. weird though the tower is 3.5 miles away

The attic is sometimes better you dont have to worry about bad corrosion or winds. How are the antennas mounted in the attic side to side or over and under? Did you aim each antenna independently then connect them together? When connecting multiple 300 ohm antennas use 300 ohm twin lead flat wire between the antennas I use minimum of 1.5 feet it seems to be better you can even put a single twist in the wire like the multi bow-tie antennas do then connect the "flat to RG adapter" at one of the antennas whatever one gives you the best performance if over and under I normally connect the "flat to RG adapter" to the bottom one but connecting to the top one will work too. You just have to remember the twin lead flat wire must be enough away from grounding objects.

Last edited:
They are flat and about 4 feet apart and aiming in different directions. They are connected together with RG6. I'm going to change to flat cable connection tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts