Antenna question

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I've been with Dish since year one, but have never been all that knowledgeable about antennas, switches, and LNBs.

I have a lot set up for my RV, surrounded by trees and tall brush. Using a Wally and 1000.2, I cannot get all 3 sats anywhere on the property, as no clearings are wide enough for reliable reception. I can easily get 119 and 129 at the west end, and 110 and 119 at the east end. Distance from both locations to RV will be 75-100 feet. Spotbeam is on 110. I can settle for just 110/119, but if it's not too much trouble I'd like the additional HD on 129.

Would a DP500/300 and SW21 work? Does anyone have a better solution? And lastly, at which end should I set up the single LNB antenna (would it matter?)

Thanks!

I've been with Dish since year one, but have never been all that knowledgeable about antennas, switches, and LNBs.

I have a lot set up for my RV, surrounded by trees and tall brush. Using a Wally and 1000.2, I cannot get all 3 sats anywhere on the property, as no clearings are wide enough for reliable reception. I can easily get 119 and 129 at the west end, and 110 and 119 at the east end. Distance from both locations to RV will be 75-100 feet. Spotbeam is on 110. I can settle for just 110/119, but if it's not too much trouble I'd like the additional HD on 129.

Would a DP500/300 and SW21 work? Does anyone have a better solution? And lastly, at which end should I set up the single LNB antenna (would it matter?)

Thanks!
No, you need 2 "wing" Dishes. 1 with a DPP Twin LNBF and the other with a DP Dual LNBF for the 129, no skew adjust on that one. Run the cable form the DP Dual, pointed at the 129 to the DPP Twin, pointed at the 110/119 input port. Then run a cable from either out put port to the Wally and run a check switch.

You can shorten your cabling possibly buy using a 33 or 44 switch. Run 2 cables from both outputs on the DPP Twin to inputs 1 and 2 on the switch and the cable from the DP Dual to port 3 on the switch, then run 1 cable from output 1 on the switch to the Wally and run a check switch. if you have a 44 switch, the power insertor can go behind the Wally or use a separate cable from port 1 out to the switch and cable from port 2 out to the Wally

You might also try using one of the augmented reality satellite finder apps to see if you'd have better luck hitting the 61.5 and 72.7 eastern arc sats if they carry your locals. That would require a different LNBF of course...

Last edited:
Thanks HipKat. I have a DP44 power inserter so I'm partway there. I've been on the lookout for the equipment you mentioned, but lately the only thing on Craigslist or my neighborhood blog is Direct TV stuff..

Thanks NYDutch. In my location the Eastern Arc sats are behind a hill. I can't see anything east of 100. As for augmented reality apps, I've yet to master them. As I move the android phone left right, the indicator where the sats are move a little. I would have thought they'd never move position as the phone did. I've been using SatFinder Lite to give me a general idea, then confirming with a hand bearing compass with viewfinder. None of my existing clearings can accommodate 110-129, unless I'm willing to put up a 20' pole.

Thanks HipKat. I have a DP44 power inserter so I'm partway there. I've been on the lookout for the equipment you mentioned, but lately the only thing on Craigslist or my neighborhood blog is Direct TV stuff..

Thanks NYDutch. In my location the Eastern Arc sats are behind a hill. I can't see anything east of 100. As for augmented reality apps, I've yet to master them. As I move the android phone left right, the indicator where the sats are move a little. I would have thought they'd never move position as the phone did. I've been using SatFinder Lite to give me a general idea, then confirming with a hand bearing compass with viewfinder. None of my existing clearings can accommodate 110-129, unless I'm willing to put up a 20' pole.
Yep, as far west as you are, I suspected the eastern arc was an outside shot. I've been using Winegard's free sat and OTA locator app lately, and it works quite well for me. It needs access to both the phone's GPS and magnetometer (compass) functions to work properly, as do the other augmented reality locator apps.

Winegard App - TV Signal Finder — winegard.com

15 years ago (Silverdale, Wa) I could get the remains of voom using a dish 300 looking at 61.5 between / beneath the tree tops.

But a dpp 500 and a dp 300 at 110, 119, 129 works fine.

I would try and figure which pair (110, 119 or 119, 129) is stronger and then point the 300 at the remaining sat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)