Antenna Selection Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

OneSickPup

Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Ky
After 30+ years as a cable subscriber I have decided to make a switch later this year to Directv. I want an emergency fallback if satellite service is interrupted by weather (heavy rain - etc). Subchannel offerings not available via Directv locals and high quality network HD are also my goals using an AM21.

I am attaching a TVFool report for my location. Pointing north (Louisville) is the priority and the VHF (ch8 & ch11) combined with the UHF channels have me concerned as to which Antenna to select. Mast heigth will be in the 25 - 30 ft range. Separate UHF and VHF antennas are ok if necessary. Only 1 tv will be attached - so no splitters in the mix.

Also as a secondary question but definitely not a showstopper, could a rotator be successful in hitting WBKO and WNKY to the south?

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 178
Also as a secondary question but definitely not a showstopper, could a rotator be successful in hitting WBKO and WNKY to the south?

Yes and yes.

Get a large 7-69 antenna. (Your channels 5 and 6 are too weak) Your preamp should be overload resistant. I'd suggest the HD-7698P and HDP-269.

Thanks

Yes and yes.

Get a large 7-69 antenna. (Your channels 5 and 6 are too weak) Your preamp should be overload resistant. I'd suggest the HD-7698P and HDP-269.

Thanks Tower Guy for the suggestions. That HD-7698P is one heavy dude. Would you suggest a Channel Master CM9521A or could I get by with a cheaper alternative. I don't totally understand some of the mechanical load specs I've seen on some rotator models.

I would go with the 9521. It should handle the 7698 just fine as long as you keep the mast above the rotor shorter than 2 feet. A digitally controlled rotor makes aiming more convenient than one with a round dial. You can program up to 69 different positions with the remote.

I can't recommend the Channel Master brand rotor wire though. The rotor wire from Radio Shack is much more durable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts