Antenna Selection Help

OneSickPup

Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Ky
After 30+ years as a cable subscriber I have decided to make a switch later this year to Directv. I want an emergency fallback if satellite service is interrupted by weather (heavy rain - etc). Subchannel offerings not available via Directv locals and high quality network HD are also my goals using an AM21.

I am attaching a TVFool report for my location. Pointing north (Louisville) is the priority and the VHF (ch8 & ch11) combined with the UHF channels have me concerned as to which Antenna to select. Mast heigth will be in the 25 - 30 ft range. Separate UHF and VHF antennas are ok if necessary. Only 1 tv will be attached - so no splitters in the mix.

Also as a secondary question but definitely not a showstopper, could a rotator be successful in hitting WBKO and WNKY to the south?

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 178
Also as a secondary question but definitely not a showstopper, could a rotator be successful in hitting WBKO and WNKY to the south?

Yes and yes.

Get a large 7-69 antenna. (Your channels 5 and 6 are too weak) Your preamp should be overload resistant. I'd suggest the HD-7698P and HDP-269.

Thanks

Yes and yes.

Get a large 7-69 antenna. (Your channels 5 and 6 are too weak) Your preamp should be overload resistant. I'd suggest the HD-7698P and HDP-269.

Thanks Tower Guy for the suggestions. That HD-7698P is one heavy dude. Would you suggest a Channel Master CM9521A or could I get by with a cheaper alternative. I don't totally understand some of the mechanical load specs I've seen on some rotator models.

I would go with the 9521. It should handle the 7698 just fine as long as you keep the mast above the rotor shorter than 2 feet. A digitally controlled rotor makes aiming more convenient than one with a round dial. You can program up to 69 different positions with the remote.

I can't recommend the Channel Master brand rotor wire though. The rotor wire from Radio Shack is much more durable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)