Antenna Suggestions

Robertoo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Hi, I'm thinking about getting an antenna, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get what I want (CBS, NBC, The CW, ABC, FOX, PBS). I'm about 65 miles out from Los Angeles and terrain could be a hindrance.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=2c152fa157433e

I want the antenna to feed 4-5 TVs upstairs and down. With my current setup, there are a total of 6-7 coax outlets I can plug into throughout and I don't think there's an amp involved. I have a MoCA network on the coax too, if that matters.

I'm mainly looking for advice on antenna types/models/setups to look into. Or if it's just not going to happen at all, that would be good to know too.

Amazon lists that model's gain as 14.2 DBI. So if I'm understanding the TV Fool numbers correctly, that should give me everything but the last 3 channels (in an ideal situation of course). Is that correct? That's not as bad as I thought. I guess all the other antenna channel tests I did were wrong, because TV Fool was the only one where most of these channels even showed up on for my address.

One question though, is that model directional, as in it would be aimed at just LA. I'd imagine so, as that would probably be the best way to go. I'm just wondering about the other stations on the report to the south and east of me.

EDIT: I also forgot to ask, would I need an amp anywhere in this situation? I know it's a lot of TVs and some signals will probably be weak, plus all my cable splits in the house. I don't really know much about amps, but would one be necessary? I guess I could always try it out without one and see how it goes.

I have my Cm3020 pointed at one city and get channels from another city in the opposite direction 50 miles away from the backside of the antenna. But its a monster, 13 feet long by 8 feet wide.

13x8? I didn't realize that. I would not have guessed that from the price listed on amazon ($130). Do you have yours on your roof? For some reason that seems too big for a rooftop, which is where I was planning on putting mine. I also have to get permission from my landlord as I rent, so I can't imagine he'll go for that. What effect would putting it on the ground in the backyard have?

You mentioned wanting stations in opposite directions, I have experience with the 3020 and I know it can do it up to a certain point.

I have a wall mount at the top of a gable and another about 5 feet or so below that one. Then the antenna sticks up above the roof. The higher the better as far as antennas go. On the ground? never tried.

Mounts similar to this, I don't think he would let you bolt these to the side of the house.
The antenna is a big one, the landlord would take one look at it and say no way probably.
I built my house and added extra framing and blocking for the mounts. There is no way to hit two studs with these.

MT9023_list.gif

Chimney mount using straps are pretty un-destuctive, and can be removed easily, that is if you have a chimney.
RON1218_list.gif

Being a landlord myself, I would find out what the landlord is willing to let you do first as far as mounting and antenna size etc.

You have some stations that are pretty close, the Winegard mentioned above is pretty cheap and small too.

The CM3020 in a rental situation would not be practical.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Winegard 1080. Yeah, the 3020 would probably be too big for approval, but then again the 1080 isn't small either. I just put an order in for one, but I'll ask my landlord first for sure. I can always return it if need be. 1080 is 3x9 so I could probably put it on the roof with permission? Wall mount sounds good, but I think it would be too difficult for me to pull off personally. I'm hoping an antenna has already been set-up on the roof previously and I could just plug into that with mine.

Let us know when you get the 1080 up and running! If I was your landlord I would probably help you set it up and tune it.
Good Luck

Try setting up the antenna without an amplifier. One can be added later. I am using one at 63 miles from the Dallas broadcasters, your results may differ due to terrestrial conditions, broadcast channels, and tower height and power of transmitters.

boba, where's yours mounted? I'm still wondering if a ground install is worth trying.
Higher in most cases is best mine is on a mast above roof level. You might want to call up the HD-1080 again it is not a very big antenna 34.5 inches W by 18.25 inches H by about 6 inches deep.

Oh, you're right. I was looking at a completely different model, the Wineguard HD8200-U. I have no idea how that happened. I'm cancelling that order now. Going to check the specifics on the 1080 now.

EDIT: From what I'm reading the 1080 is advertised as good for 40 miles. According to that, it would be outperforming at 60 miles for you, and I guess I would need it to do the same for me. I guess I'll try it out and see what I can get. At $30 it's a lot cheaper than the HD8200 I ordered by mistake, and a lot smaller too. If it doesn't work out I can just reorder the HD8200 and try that in my backyard since that one seems pretty strong. By the way, that 14.2 DBi gain I mentioned earlier was for the HD8200. I'm still trying to figure out what the gain is on the 1080.

To get the LA stations is going to require a large VHF high/UHF antenna or preferably one of each.

I would go with an 8 bay UHF bow-tie type antenna for UHF and an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 for VHF combine with a UVSJ (UHF/VHF Signal Joiner) and maybe a pre-amp if needed (might be needed for splitting to so many TVs).

With one Antenna Look at the Winegard 7697 or 7698.

One antenna would be better, yeah. Everything I just read about the 1080 says they're not too good on high VHF, but then again my high VHF channel signals look relatively good on the TV Fool report, so I could be okay. Here's some db info for the 1080. Will look at those Winegard models for sure and compare them to the previously mentioned HD8200. If my cancellation on that model doesn't go through with Amazon, I may just end up keeping it if it compares favorably.

Chimney mount using straps are pretty un-destuctive, and can be removed easily, that is if you have a chimney.
View attachment 103630

This is interesting as I know I have a chimney and straps would seem pretty non-harmful to the house as far as my landlord is concerned. Only thing is with an antenna of that kind of size (10-13 feet) would the wind take it down or damage it all the way up there? That's pretty much the reason why I like the idea of a landlocked installation. Anyone have experience with this kind of mount? Or big antennas on the roof generally? How do they hold up to the wind?

Last edited:
The only difference between the 7698 and the 8200 is the 8200 has low-vhf capability.

the 8200 is a very large antenna, I'd be a little reticent to mount it to a chimney.

Yeah, it would probably have to go on the ground. Would you feel okay mounting a 7698 to a chimney? Or say I just put the 8200 on the flat roof? Would that be okay?

7698 is the same length as the 8200, it just does not have the long VHF-low band elements.

I do not recommend mounting any large antenna to a chimney, the flexing and whipping of the mast can loosen the mortar that holds the bricks in place.

Better to use a tripod or gable end mount.

EDIT: Never mind, I was looking at the package dimensions, which are in inches.

I think I'll do this: If my cancel request on the 8200 goes through, then I will try out a smaller antenna just to check if I get the channels I want consistently. If my request is denied (and it might be because I'm on Amazon Prime 2-Day shipping), I think I'll just bite the bullet and keep the 8200. It's actually cheaper than the 7698P on Amazon, so why not?

EDIT 2: So it looks like the 8200 is twice as wide as the 7698P. That's what it says here/here under "Maximum Width". I don't really mind, but my landlord might.

EDIT 2: Am I crazy, or is the 8200 twice the length of the 7698P? That's what it says here/here under "Maximum Width". I don't really understand all the technical specifics, so maybe I should be looking at "Boom Length"?
The boom length is the length and both antennas are just over 14' long.

The width is, as one might expect, is the width (the length of the longest VHF element).

The difference in widths is what gives the 8200 its big VHF advantage and will allow it to pick up the channels on the 2, 5 and 6 frequencies (depending on which way it points).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts