Antenna TV Coming to Red River, Sinclair, Other Stations

Why would it?
CW is on a different station owned by Lockwood Broadcasting
WHNT .2 is now thier Third Independent, It's been said CBS/WB have a Plan B if Tribune does not renew, Tribune has said they have a plan too maybe to a certain extent it could be more .2's in some markets and what better way to do that is in a market where they are not affiliated with The CW

But this station (WHNT) which is owned by Tribune DOESNT have CW. Its on a different station in the market.

From reading articles and reports from folks in the area this channel was made so they don't pre-empt AntennaTV. They were doing that for sports and a 9:00 newscast nightly. This move allows them to keep AntennaTV in tact while adding sports, extra newscasts and syndicated programming.

With AntennaTV being owned by Tribune, I'm sure they frowned upon the nightly pre-emptions

I was gonna say maybe CW or MNTV goes on 19-2 since majority of their scheduling is syndicated but aren't both those on different channels.
Both are on different stations
CW is on 15-1 (as noted above)
My is on 54-2 (sub of Fox)...owned by your buddy. The only reason they have My & Me as subs is because it was before they bought the station ;)

Looks like this 19-2 is just a bad Independent from their schedule
mostly Judge shows (4-6a, 8-10a, 1-5p) and the tabloid type crap (inside edition, dish nation, access hollywood)

I assume it will get better but just a quick look at their schedule....ya aint missing much :)

edit: weekends is more shows like that and some movies. But I gotta give them credit. Very few paid programs on there. I think I saw maybe 2 or 3

on a typical weekend here in Minneapolis our My Network (which is owned by FOX) and the local Independent (owned by ABC) will have paid programs all afternoon.

Kinda getting off topic here but looking at Saturday and both My network and Independent (other than the required E/I stuff) have TWELVE HOURS CONTINUOUS of paid programs!!!
3am-3pm on both is paid programs
Hell even our CBS which is OWNED by CBS has paid programs from 11am-2pm on Saturday.

But this station (WHNT) which is owned by Tribune DOESNT have CW. Its on a different station in the market.

From reading articles and reports from folks in the area this channel was made so they don't pre-empt AntennaTV. They were doing that for sports and a 9:00 newscast nightly. This move allows them to keep AntennaTV in tact while adding sports, extra newscasts and syndicated programming.

With AntennaTV being owned by Tribune, I'm sure they frowned upon the nightly pre-emptions

Tribune's Cleveland station just has AntennaTV too, no This TV (except on a lower power that does not cover the northern part of the DMA but has other LP stations that cover other parts of smaller DMA's that give This TV a similar coverage in population as a full power just not the city of cleveland) no Comet either on Tribune Media's Broadcasting Section of their site they just say they operate it but MGM owns This TV, From questioning my DMA and looking at others with the addition of WHNT2 plus the fact that there is a standoff between Tribune and CBS/WB (The CW) and yeah sure Tribune isn't the CW affiliate in Cleveland either, But This TV's former affiliate has CW's affiliation and when Tribune took over operations of This TV they voluntarily used the old weigel/this tv equipment and bug's over the new ones it seems and eventually they dropped the diginet, a different yet similar method seems to be being used on the main CW feed all syndicated programming has black bars on both sides or all sides with the network only in HD , plus Tribune's balking at retrans demands from The CW and with networks dropping small station groups or one station owners it looks like The CW is headed elsewhere in the Cleveland market, they even have weigels Movies! and H&I both in 16x9, it makes me wonder if a no compete claus with MGM exists with WBNX, So that's pretty much why I asked about WHNT2 being a possible part of Tribune and The CW standoff and maybe even MGM could be looking for new affiliates in Tribune affiliated markets with MGM just taking over the operations of This TV they program Comet

And yeah I said in a long explaination that I think Tribune may have or found a replacement for The CW that involves Tribune's group of stations if they don't renew The CW affiliation

Last edited:
oh boy...let me try to correct some things here

no Comet either on Tribune Media's Broadcasting Section of their site they just say they operate it
Comet is owned/operated by Sinclair. They cut a deal with Tribune to offer them Comet on their station where Sinclair has no affiliate in exchange for Antenna TV in markets where Tribune isn't. We're talking 6 markets (8 stations total..there are 2 in Indy and the confusion as to why they partnered with Tribune in St Louis when they own a station there already).

and maybe even MGM could be looking for new affiliates in Tribune affiliated markets with MGM just taking over the operations of This TV they program Comet
Sinclair does the programming. They own the station 100%. All they have is an agreement with MGM for the library of movies.

a different yet similar method seems to be being used on the main CW feed all syndicated programming has black bars on both sides or all sides with the network only in HD
huh? There are technically 2 CW versions out there
-the CW that is 2 hours a night + the Bill Cunningham show. This is the feed most larger markets get. The rest is programmed by the affiliate and they may not have HD equipment for syndication
-CW+ is a 24/7 run station that is for smaller markets (mainly on subchannels). That has syndicated programming already added. All that is needed from affiliates is commercials

From questioning my DMA and looking at others with the addition of WHNT2 plus the fact that there is a standoff between Tribune and CBS/WB (The CW) and yeah sure Tribune isn't the CW affiliate in Cleveland either
But again in WHNT's case THEY DONT HAVE THE CW. So I don't get why you keep bringing that up as a reason for adding the sub. In Cleveland Tribune has only owned WJW since late 2013. The CW has been on WBNX since inception 10 years ago. And Tribune just affiliates with networks. It isn't like when FOX bought the station in Charlotte, NC and took the FOX affiliation from WCCB (which is now CW).

The reason WHNT-DT2 was created was already discussed. It was to not pre-empt AntennaTV programming. They use to pre-empt from 9-10 every night for news and when there were ASN sports or ACC Network sports they pre-empted programing. Since Tribune owns both the station and AntennaTV I'm sure they frowned upon the pre-emptions. So thats why the sub was created.

But I still don't why you got off on the CW/Tribune squabble when this is about Antenna TV being added to some affiliates.

Looks like this 19-2 is just a bad Independent from their schedule
mostly Judge shows (4-6a, 8-10a, 1-5p) and the tabloid type crap (inside edition, dish nation, access hollywood)

I assume it will get better but just a quick look at their schedule....ya aint missing much :)

edit: weekends is more shows like that and some movies. But I gotta give them credit. Very few paid programs on there. I think I saw maybe 2 or 3

on a typical weekend here in Minneapolis our My Network (which is owned by FOX) and the local Independent (owned by ABC) will have paid programs all afternoon.

Kinda getting off topic here but looking at Saturday and both My network and Independent (other than the required E/I stuff) have TWELVE HOURS CONTINUOUS of paid programs!!!
3am-3pm on both is paid programs
Hell even our CBS which is OWNED by CBS has paid programs from 11am-2pm on Saturday.
Seems like 19-2 will be kinda like a Block of Drama (Nexstar's new flagship the KADN mux) till the scheduling gets better later on they just deal with the court tv, springer, povich, and wilkos amongs other things.

Tribune's Cleveland station just has AntennaTV too, no This TV (except on a lower power that does not cover the northern part of the DMA but has other LP stations that cover other parts of smaller DMA's that give This TV a similar coverage in population as a full power just not the city of cleveland) no Comet either on Tribune Media's Broadcasting Section of their site they just say they operate it but MGM owns This TV, From questioning my DMA and looking at others with the addition of WHNT2 plus the fact that there is a standoff between Tribune and CBS/WB (The CW) and yeah sure Tribune isn't the CW affiliate in Cleveland either, But This TV's former affiliate has CW's affiliation and when Tribune took over operations of This TV they voluntarily used the old weigel/this tv equipment and bug's over the new ones it seems and eventually they dropped the diginet, a different yet similar method seems to be being used on the main CW feed all syndicated programming has black bars on both sides or all sides with the network only in HD , plus Tribune's balking at retrans demands from The CW and with networks dropping small station groups or one station owners it looks like The CW is headed elsewhere in the Cleveland market, they even have weigels Movies! and H&I both in 16x9, it makes me wonder if a no compete claus with MGM exists with WBNX, So that's pretty much why I asked about WHNT2 being a possible part of Tribune and The CW standoff and maybe even MGM could be looking for new affiliates in Tribune affiliated markets with MGM just taking over the operations of This TV they program Comet

And yeah I said in a long explaination that I think Tribune may have or found a replacement for The CW that involves Tribune's group of stations if they don't renew The CW affiliation
I see the reasoning for the big blockbuster launch at the end of last year. Sinclair launched comet. First on their owned stations then on tribune stations, which had antenna already (i.e. wgno tribune owned with antenna then comet on wnol). Then Sinclair launches tribune owned antenna in their markets where there was no antenna like Pittsburgh. This was the best deal worked out in 2015. Good Job Sinclair and Tribune. Now since KXKW has both this and antenna all we need is comet on 32.3 to complete it on our end.

The CW Tribune squabble ended up on here was because i saw that WHNT2 was launch as an Independent, I also knew Tribune sold the CW affiliation in Indianapolis in which that subchannel became a Independent
And yeah now that you pointed it out and now that i realize it a seprate thread should have been created, With WJW only having Antenna TV and now Tribune had Three Indepenents, The question I was trying to explain was is Tribune getting ready for a replacement of The CW and using the rest of the station group to add muscle to that

The Comet comparrison came from the fact that yeah in some market's Tribune affiliated with Comet but not in the Cleveland market and no This TV either which Tribune operates and according to Tribune's site MGM owns it so it may be that Tribune will only operate it for a certain period of time maybe a transtition period will occur and maybe new affiliates in Tribune markets.
Here's the headline and link about MGM programming Coment
From Sinclair, MGM Comet Diginet launches Oct. 31 (TVNewsCheck)
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/89314/sinclair-mgm-comet-diginet-debuts-oct-31

With The CW and formerly This TV on WBNX: I was making an assumption or what i thought could happen with The CW based on how WBNX dropped This TV which was replaced with Movies! and later adding H&I both 16x9 and sure Movies! was in squished mode for a bit when it launched, So i thought based upon the quality of everything else on 55.1 where WBNX airs the CW that their affilitation may not be that much longer like This TV, And yeah guess there was no need to talk about WBNX and This TV in this thread even though it was the inspiration for it and hopefully the two above paragraphs explain that.

In Indy CW was going to move as a sub when Tribune gained the CBS affiliation from WISH replacing their independent subchanenl. Then WISH got the CW affiliation before the changeover.

Again with WHNT-DT2 it has to do with the pre-empting of AntennaTV for news (daily) and sports. This gives them an option to put as much news and court shows on it as they want

And yeah now that you pointed it out and now that i realize it a seprate thread should have been created,
yup ;)

Seems like 19-2 will be kinda like a Block of Drama (Nexstar's new flagship the KADN mux) till the scheduling gets better later on they just deal with the court tv, springer, povich, and wilkos amongs other things.
no trash talk like Jerry and Steve....just court shows and those "entertainment" talk type shows

Sinclair launched comet. First on their owned stations then on tribune stations, which had antenna already (i.e. wgno tribune owned with antenna then comet on wnol). Then Sinclair launches tribune owned antenna in their markets where there was no antenna like Pittsburgh.

sort of
Sinclair and Tribune made a deal. In some markets where there is no Tribune station but a Sinclair station AntennaTV would be added (if it already wasnt there) like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Columbus, Cincy, Vegas and others. In return, Tribune would put Comet on in some areas where Sinclair has no station like Philly, Houston, Denver, Indy, Hartford, and Nawlins. Its a smart move by both companies.

Now since KXKW has both this and antenna all we need is comet on 32.3 to complete it on our end.
since Comet is owned by Sinclair and This and Antenna are owned (partially in This's case) by Tribune it doesnt work the way you are thinking. The agreement was only between Sinclair owned and Tribune owned stations....not affiliates of the diginets they own

sort of
Sinclair and Tribune made a deal. In some markets where there is no Tribune station but a Sinclair station AntennaTV would be added (if it already wasnt there) like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Columbus, Cincy, Vegas and others. In return, Tribune would put Comet on in some areas where Sinclair has no station like Philly, Houston, Denver, Indy, Hartford, and Nawlins. Its a smart move by both companies.

since Comet is owned by Sinclair and This and Antenna are owned (partially in This's case) by Tribune it doesnt work the way you are thinking. The agreement was only between Sinclair owned and Tribune owned stations....not affiliates of the diginets they own
1. yeah that was a great deal by both media groups......
2. yeah I would have liked Sinclair to slip comet in our station with both tribune diginets but I know it doesn't work that way....

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)