Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Hey guys, I know there is a forum for Over the air antennas but i figured the big dish crowd having more engineering experience could appreciate this one.

This reminds me of those -1,000,000,000 db gain little round amplified rv antennas that are sold around the country claiming all this great reception from mega miles away weak signals.

I ran across a website that claims it uses an 18" satellite dish antenna for the reception of local over the air uhf, vhf, and fm signals. (yeah right!)

The beamwidth on an 18" dish such as D* or E* pizza companies is i am guessing somewhere around 3.5 degrees at 12 gigahertz. The beamwidth on this thing at vhf levels would have to be 300 degrees LOL!

I bet it is using some coil loaded helical antenna in the feed assembly claiming you will never need another Big ugly Yagi tv antenna again. Is this bringing back some old memories about things being big and ugly and outdated?

Check this out and tell me what you guys think?

www.goxium.com

I suppose it might work. perhaps it would be better for uhf than Vhf? UHF antenna "Prongs" are typically only about 9". Does that hint at the amplitude?

If so, I woder if a reflector picking up VHF would need to be 6 or 8' to match the lenght of the longer "wingspan" on a regular antenna.

These are just wild guesses, though. I'm curious to hear what someone with more technical knowledge thinks.

Since some people think "Big ugly Yagi tv antenna" that means you can get one for just taking someones away.

ARRL has some nice antenna books. The internet also has some good info to.

truckracer said:
Hey guys, I know there is a forum for Over the air antennas but i figured the big dish crowd having more engineering experience could appreciate this one.
This reminds me of those -1,000,000,000 db gain little round amplified rv antennas that are sold around the country claiming all this great reception from mega miles away weak signals.
I ran across a website that claims it uses an 18" satellite dish antenna for the reception of local over the air uhf, vhf, and fm signals. (yeah right!)
The beamwidth on an 18" dish such as D* or E* pizza companies is i am guessing somewhere around 3.5 degrees at 12 gigahertz. The beamwidth on this thing at vhf levels would have to be 300 degrees LOL!
I bet it is using some coil loaded helical antenna in the feed assembly claiming you will never need another Big ugly Yagi tv antenna again. Is this bringing back some old memories about things being big and ugly and outdated?
Check this out and tell me what you guys think?
www.goxium.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts