antennacraft mxu-59

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
a friend of mine in Huntington, wv zip code 25702 is using a radio shack uhf vhf fm outdoor antenna that installed for her just as the digital change was happening.

she has two converter boxes and a digital lcd tv.

i am using a mast mounted blonder tongue amp then running RG6 Quad into a three way splitter (one port power passing)for powering the amp.

antenna is 20 feet off the ground and pointed east toward the stations.

I have a perfect lock and 100% signal on all the local digitals:

13.1 (High Vhf 213 mhz)
13.2 " "
29.1-4

problem is i can't lock 33.1-3 that is our local pbs that is in the same direction.

Nothing i do changes it.
i used to lock it fine with 60-70 quality on those cheap converter boxes.
i think pbs lowered power or something.
i lost them at home too and had to install a winegard 9058 p UHF high gain yagi
and that solved the problem. My vu120r radio shack didn't cut it anymore for WPBY-33.1-3

She didn't want to spend 130.00 for a winegard so i found an antennacraft mxu 59 that has a 100cm boom and looks somewhat comparable to the winegard for 50.00.

do you guys think this may help the problem?
i can use a vhf uhf band splitter and use her existing antenna for vhf input (13.1/13.2) since the antennacraft is uhf only. thats what i did here. my vu120r is just bandpassed for vhf and my winegard gets all the uhf stuff.

here it is:

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 218
problem is i can't lock 33.1-3 that is our local pbs that is in the same direction.

I don't think that an antenna replacement will help.

The problem could be preamp overload. Have you tried receiving PBS with just the antenna? To do so you must remove the preamp from the circuit, unplugging the preamp doesn't bypass the amplifier.

The source of the overload might be FM stations. An antenna that can't receive FM might fix the problem. In your case the best antenna is a wide beam UHF antenna that can also receive high band VHF. The Channel Master 4221 is one such antenna. The Winegard HD-1080 is another.

I Removed the preamplifier and connected the cables with a barrel connector...still no go.
I thought of fm since the signal from our local 103.3 fm is stupid strong in that area and that UHF/Vhf/ antenna may be loading the signal with fm harmonics from the radio station. I will try a UHF only antenna. I have an FM trap I can try.

I thought of fm since the signal from our local 103.3 fm is stupid strong in that area and that UHF/Vhf/ antenna may be loading the signal with fm harmonics from the radio station.

I suspect that 103.3 is mixing with TV channel 17 making a third order intermod on channel 34. Eliminating 103.3 with either a filter or a UHF antenna has a good chance of working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)