AntennaTV being dropped in Ft Wayne

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
uh oh. Dan isnt going to like this

FT. WAYNE VIEWERS, WANE-TV NewsChannel 15 is dropping Antenna TV from their 15.2 channel on October 10th.

WE NEED YOUR HELP to find a new home in Ft. Wayne. Please contact the other local stations in your market and ask them to add Antenna TV to their digital subchannel

The issue there is there really isnt an option elsewhere
ABC & NBC are tied up in the whole Quincy/Granite/Malara/SagamoreHill issue (the sale)
FOX is owned by Nexstar (they do have Bounce right now)

Hmm here is the ironic thing....owner is Media General
Also on the WANE facebook page folks have asked about it and NO RESPONSE from WANE yet.

This stinks antenna tv is a good channel some of the shows I like for example jack Benny. I bet the reason is that tribune took cbs from them in indy.

Any idea what they are switching to?
unknown. I saw the blurb on the AntennaTV facebook page and just copy/pasted it.
The owner (Media General) possibly may change it to something they currently have. The 3 big ones they partner with are MeTV, Bounce and Cozi. I know Bounce is already on your FOX station so it might be Me or Cozi. I honestly dont know....

Ice thank you for the pm
no problem. I knew you were there and didnt want you to be blindsided when they dropped it

If you don't mind me asking how many of the South Bend Channels you can get from your location from your antenna (besides the NBC with AntTV)
I'm sure Dan will respond but WNDU (NBC) is the most powerful station in the market (looking at rabbitears info)
800kw on a 1000 foot stick
CBS & FOX are same height but 250 & 300kw respectively
CW, ABC & My are all low powered stations (owned ironically be Weigel)

None of the maps show it reaches Ft Wayne but as we know....maps can be deceiving ;)

I'm sure Dan will respond but WNDU (NBC) is the most powerful station in the market (looking at rabbitears info)
800kw on a 1000 foot stick
CBS & FOX are same height but 250 & 300kw respectively
CW, ABC & My are all low powered stations (owned ironically be Weigel)

None of the maps show it reaches Ft Wayne but as we know....maps can be deceiving ;)
OK thanks Ice noticed South Bend has at few more subchannels. It's amazing alot of big city stations towers are between 755 and 1100 feet high. Alot of New Orleans stations are like that on a 1000 foot stick or less. Lucky mine's are on sticks of 1718 (KLFY), 1718 (KATC), 980 (KLWB) I think its alot higher, 1177 (Fox 15), 1443 (KPLC), WVLA 1670, WBRZ 1600, and KALB 1539 feet.

OK thanks Ice noticed South Bend has at few more subchannels.
South Bend has 3 Weigel owned stations. The ABC, CW & My. So of course they are going to load up their owned subchannels :)
ThisTV is on the CW (Weigel use to own part of ThisTV)
Odd that H&I is on the FOX station which is owned by Quincy

It's amazing alot of big city stations towers are between 755 and 1100 feet high. Alot of New Orleans stations are like that on a 1000 foot stick or less. Lucky mine's are on sticks of 1718 (KLFY), 1718 (KATC), 980 (KLWB) I think its alot higher, 1177 (Fox 15), 1443 (KPLC), WVLA 1670, WBRZ 1600, and KALB 1539 feet.
alot of it has to do with what area they have to cover. All of the full power stations in Minneapolis are around 1400 feet on the tower. This has to do with the expansive area the Minneapolis market is.

I'm just going out on a limb here but the reason the towers are very tall in that area probably goes back to the analog days when most of those markets there were "short" markets (missing networks).

In Fargo, ND the NBC and formerly the CBS station tower was almost 1900 feet tall. This is to try and cover both the Fargo and Grand Forks markets (which are one market according to Nielsen)

South Bend has 3 Weigel owned stations. The ABC, CW & My. So of course they are going to load up their owned subchannels :)
ThisTV is on the CW (Weigel use to own part of ThisTV)
Odd that H&I is on the FOX station which is owned by Quincy

alot of it has to do with what area they have to cover. All of the full power stations in Minneapolis are around 1400 feet on the tower. This has to do with the expansive area the Minneapolis market is.

I'm just going out on a limb here but the reason the towers are very tall in that area probably goes back to the analog days when most of those markets there were "short" markets (missing networks).

In Fargo, ND the NBC and formerly the CBS station tower was almost 1900 feet tall. This is to try and cover both the Fargo and Grand Forks markets (which are one market according to Nielsen)
Yeah I think your right pretty much on the tower height about the analog. KATC boundaries extend to 70 miles past the tower sight. Kudos on the South Bend Stations with Weigel owning half the market's station. I was thinking that Dan was close enough to at at least get the 57 station, I figured he probably get the others easily. Check on Wikipedia the Fargo Towers are 2068 and the other 2100 in Galesburg and Blanchard, the Valley 11 and the multi-diginet one....

Yeah I think your right pretty much on the tower height about the analog.
just doing some research it had to go back to the analog era where 3 markets (Lake Charles, Lafayette and Alexandria) shared stations
Lake Charles had just NBC. CBS & ABC came from Lafayette
Lafayette had no NBC. NBC came from Lake Charles or Alexandria
Alexandria had no CBS. CBS came from Lafayette

and ironically, all are on VHF ;)

(Fox was in all 3 markets since the late 80's)

I can get south bend sometimes but from the office antenna I can get Lansing Michigan WILX that has antenna tv. Manly I can receive from south bend market following order strongest wsbt, wndu, wsjv no luck on abc or cw. Look up angola Indiana to see what we are able to get.

Last edited:
just doing some research it had to go back to the analog era where 3 markets (Lake Charles, Lafayette and Alexandria) shared stations
Lake Charles had just NBC. CBS & ABC came from Lafayette
Lafayette had no NBC. NBC came from Lake Charles or Alexandria
Alexandria had no CBS. CBS came from Lafayette

and ironically, all are on VHF ;)

(Fox was in all 3 markets since the late 80's)
Bingo this is exactly correct. Heck the 39 CW from Houston would come in mostly as well as Tribune's WGNO 26 and Hearst WDSU 6 New Orleans and the 4 major ones in Baton Rouge where I lived in Carencro. That was just with the indoor antenna. Now you get what you get no more no less....The analog was better.....Them days are over.....

I can get south bend sometimes but from the office antenna I can get Lansing Michigan WILX that has antenna tv. Manly I can receive from south bend market following order strongest wsbt, wndu, wsjv no luck on abc or cw. Look up angola Indiana to see what we are able to get.
i did just the zipcode and the antenna height of 28 feet on tv fool and in order: WINM 12 TCT, WANE CBS/AntTV, WISE NBC/MNTV, WPTA ABC/CW, WFWA (PBS MUX), That 26 translator 3ABN, WFFT Fox/Bounce, WLMB Religious, WGVK (PBS Grand Rapids Market), ANother 26 Translator from Grand Rapids (TCT mux), WDFM-LP (iheart media), WBGU (PBS Lima Ohio Market), WILX (NBC Lansing Michigan with Weather Nation and Antenna TV :)) WOTV (ABC Grand Rapids), WLAJ (ABC/CW Lansing), W38ea-d (translator of WINM), WNDU (South Bend NBC/Antenna TV:)), WSBT (CBS 22 South Bend), WHME (South Bend same as WHNO 20 New Orleans, LeSea/Cozi/Weather Nation), and WSJV (South Bend Fox and H&I) anything after that are in the minus 5.5 or more under the NM(db) list on TV fool.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts